Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 4, 2011, 1:15 PM   #11

with the hx5v, it seems it is either love or hate. I see some that love the way it preforms and other that do not. The zs7 is a nice camera, but the panny jpeg engine do not produce a photo to my liking as much as say a olympus jpeg. Allot of that is more processing then the sensor. Sony jpeg processing might be part of the reason some love it, and some do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
There is a noticeable difference in the IQ of most CCD based P&S compared to their CMOS counterparts.

As an owner of the HX5V, I think you will be seriously disappointed with the IQ coming from an F70 EXR. I wouldn't put any stock in that DPR comparative review either. There are so many errors and omissions in their information that I don't think they spent more than a few minutes with each camera. The Casio is a decent cam though I haven't seen many still examples; I personally think the ZS7 and Samsung HZ35 are both better options. If you don't mind the size, Sarah Joyce's recommendation for the SX130 is also a good one.

That's interesting, considering that you rave about the FZ40 which has more noise than the ZS7 (which uses the exact same sensor as the FZ35).
Old Feb 4, 2011, 2:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
with the hx5v, it seems it is either love or hate. I see some that love the way it preforms and other that do not. The zs7 is a nice camera, but the panny jpeg engine do not produce a photo to my liking as much as say a olympus jpeg. Allot of that is more processing then the sensor. Sony jpeg processing might be part of the reason some love it, and some do not.
Yep, I agree. Olympus and Canon are my top 2 choices in terms of color and JPEG processing. Sony's processing is the issue for sure. Other companies have taken that same sensor and produced considerably better results imho. I'm not a pixel peeper but when the Sony JPEG engine smears grass so badly that I can see it in a 4x6 print, that's a problem. The HX5V also actually does better on overcast days than it does in bright sunlight - go figure. In general, I think other manufacturers do better with Sony sensors than Sony does. I'm pleased as punch with my S95 which I am fairly certain uses a Sony sensor.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 2:54 PM   #13

thanks eveyone, i will look at the samsung and which olympus? maybe i'll also take a peek at the canon s95 I definately need a camera that will be great in bright sunlight as i will use it mostly for my travels but more importantly is the low light. I did have a sony and kodak long ago and they both took great pics but that was before all the pixles went up... i myself have not been a fan on my f70 exr at all for it's low light pics considering it is supposed to be the best out there for that. maybe i just have a lemon.... but the daylight pics are outstanding....
lin7604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 3:12 PM   #14

Pretty much all the camera on that link I posted are camera's that will meet your needs. I would give them a try.

The s95 is a good camera, and very good for a point and shoot in low light. But it has a short zoom 3.5 only.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 3:22 PM   #15

ya i have been reading the link you gave me but my head feeling like it's rolling in circles now with all that info.... i'm getting them all confused... ya a 3.5 zoom is no good to me.... i don't really need more then 10 times but i don't want less...
Old Feb 4, 2011, 3:22 PM   #16

the sony seem to be slightly better in low light compare to the others. But it is only a slight improvement. You will not see any marked improvement with any camera in this range. They all have tiny sensors and will only shoot well upto 400iso, above that noise and sharpness is a real problem with all of them even the fuji. I think people put to much hype on what these camera can really do in low light. The small sensors just do not preform well in that environment.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 3:25 PM   #17

What I would do is if there is a place you can try the different camera's, bring a sd card with you. Take some pictures with each. Go home and look at the, and see which one's processing is most appealing to you.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 3:31 PM   #18

that's a good idea, i will have to see if any of the stores near me will allow me to do that. yes i also believe that there is too much hype on these camera for low light ... that is why i choose the f70 exr and was not impressed..... I really just want the evening shots that are inside to look good, not fuzzy. that is biggest thing i want. I always bring my slr on holidays but i find so many don't know how to use them ( even though i will have it on auto mode for them), I think they are just scared to use them is what it is.... so when you want a family pic taken inside a restaurant it's much easier with a small point and shoot for others to use.... but i still want a nice clear pic
Old Feb 4, 2011, 3:38 PM   #19

You are in the realm of the 1/1.63 camera if you want decently clear in restaurant with a flash. They shoot well at 800 iso. But they all have short zooms and bright lenses f1.8 or f2 on the short end of the zoom. canon s95, olympus xz1, panasonic lx5, but we are in the 400-500 dollar range for a point and shoot.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 3:42 PM   #20

ya that's a lot of money for a point and shoot ... ahh what to do, what to do????
but that does sound like what i want.... :*(