Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 5, 2011, 3:11 PM   #31

[QUOTE=FiveO;1197031]There is a noticeable difference in the IQ of most CCD based P&S compared to their CMOS counterparts.

What would the difference be and in favor of which sensor ?
rebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2011, 3:15 PM   #32

cmos are better for higher iso work. But with the tiny sensor, the iso increase is minimal. On DSLR the difference is substantial. Best cdd aps-c iso is 1600, past that it gets really noise. With CMOS 3200 iso is the norm, and 6400 is still usable. So say 12800 is still usable. CDD just do not preform pass 1600iso well in dslr. That is why all the brands but sony only use cmos or mos sensors. Sony only use CDD in the entry level dslr. Once you more to their mids, they are all cmos.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 3:18 PM   #33

looks can be decieving i guess... it does look to be a bit bigger but if teh olympus is best in low light then i will look further into it.
lin7604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2011, 3:29 PM   #34

It has a f1.8-2.5 lens while the canon and panny has a f2-4.9 lens. so if you need to zoom, the oly will be brighter and better for low light.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 4:28 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
There is a noticeable difference in the IQ of most CCD based P&S compared to their CMOS counterparts.
What would the difference be and in favor of which sensor ?
From my perspective, the primary difference is noise and sharpness. By design, CMOS sensors are noisier than their CCD counterparts. Noise is unappealing to most consumers so the manufacturers typically crank up the NR (noise reduction) to hide it. This results in the loss of fine detail in hair/fur texture, grass, etc. Sometimes they get the balance right, such as with the Canon SD4000. More often, they don't, such as with the HX5V.

Sharpness is always noticeably different as well. CMOS images will always be softer unless the manufacturer jacks up sharpening in the JPEG engine, in which case you get over-sharpened images with jagged lines that look overly digitized.

Keep in mind my comments only apply to the 1/2.3" style CCD vs the 1/2.3" stlye CMOS. The much larger CMOS sensors used in DLSRs are an entirely different animal and the same problems don't apply.