Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 3, 2011, 9:47 PM   #1

Default a compact camera with min 10 times zoom.....

what would you suggest. I currently have a fuji f70 exr, what's a step up from that? i;m not stuck on any specific brand but something not too slim like some of the canon's... i find they are so slick and just slid out of your hands... or is that just me,lol...
lin7604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2011, 10:05 PM   #2

sony hx5v or the panasonic zs-7 would be good option, and are popular. I personally like the casio FH100.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 10:06 PM   #3

Here is a good read

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q210grouptravelzoom/
Old Feb 3, 2011, 10:49 PM   #4

I personally feel that the SX130 with 12X optical zoom (28mm to336mm) is a good option and it also has an HD video as well. It is selling for around $190.00.

If that is too expensive, consider the SX110, and SX120, the two Canon models that proceeded the SX130.

I purchased and returned the Casio FH100 for poor image quality. I also look at the Panasonic ZS5 and ZS7, but ended up returning the ZS7 as I did not want GPS, and, at least for me it was too noisy.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 10:58 PM   #5

thanks for the link. looks like i'm going to check out teh casio and sony. both rated #1 what is it about the casio that you like better?
Old Feb 3, 2011, 11:00 PM   #6

thanks sarah, i did think of the 120 or 130 but they are a bit buikier then i wanted. i wanted a more compact camera As i already have a pentax k-x, so a slim model is more appealing this time around....
Old Feb 3, 2011, 11:04 PM   #7

The sony was my wife's favorite between the fh100 and hx5v. They are point and shoot, and are very good for what they are. Coming form a dslr background, there is really very little difference between all these small sensor megazoom.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 2:35 AM   #8

There is a noticeable difference in the IQ of most CCD based P&S compared to their CMOS counterparts.

As an owner of the HX5V, I think you will be seriously disappointed with the IQ coming from an F70 EXR. I wouldn't put any stock in that DPR comparative review either. There are so many errors and omissions in their information that I don't think they spent more than a few minutes with each camera. The Casio is a decent cam though I haven't seen many still examples; I personally think the ZS7 and Samsung HZ35 are both better options. If you don't mind the size, Sarah Joyce's recommendation for the SX130 is also a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
I also look at the Panasonic ZS5 and ZS7, but ended up returning the ZS7 as I did not want GPS, and, at least for me it was too noisy.
That's interesting, considering that you rave about the FZ40 which has more noise than the ZS7 (which uses the exact same sensor as the FZ35).

Last edited by FiveO; Feb 4, 2011 at 2:38 AM.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 2:07 PM   #9

lin-

For the ultimate in smallness and a size to fit in your jean's pocket, look at the Canon SD4000.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 2:11 PM   #10

The op does not want a tiny camera, as was stated in the opening post. And 10x zoom is something the op wants. The sd4000 does not have a 10x zoom.