Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 1, 2011, 2:47 PM   #111

Something that's helped me as I learn more about my camera and (photography in general) is trying to learn one thing at a time. For example, I'll take my camera out and take many pictures of the same thing. I'll keep all the settings the same, except one (iso, for example) and see the differences in each photo. It's helped me a lot, because each time I do this I learn more about a particular function of the camera. That way, when I'm in a situation where I really want a good picture, but I'm not getting one, I have more of an idea as to which setting I might want to change. Hope that makes sense. As I'm typing this, it sounds a little confusing!

Also, I've found that most of the time, I'm shooting in aperture priority mode. So far, it's given me results that I'm happy with. Also, with my camera (which is a pentax k-x), I've found that I am happier if I manually set the white balance, rather than put it in auto. Not sure if that's true of all cameras, but it's definitely the case with my k-x.

From one beginner to another, I hope you'll be patient and stick with your camera. I'm sure the more you use it and learn it, the more you'll love it. Another thing I do is constantly refer to my user's manual. I keep it in my photo bag, and I read it a lot! I haven't read it from cover to cover, but I read the various topics as needed.

Good luck!
acscoggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2011, 3:31 PM   #112

Well as I am new and don't have all the parts to my puzzle. It has been raining all day and I have been inside with my boy and the dog taking pictures like crazy. The low light if very good with this camera as many of the pictures are brighter than I see them with my eyes. But I am going to keep this thing and continue to read the manual. My wife would like me to take a class and actually concentrate on getting my moneys worth for this camera.
tjamscad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2011, 3:54 PM   #113

You can get them closer to actual room lighting by ev down 1/3 or2/3. All camera gets fool in dark and bright conditions.

Last edited by shoturtle; May 1, 2011 at 5:02 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2011, 4:19 PM   #114

Thank you too all who have commented in this thread. Because I have finally decided to keep this camera. I will be posting in the Canon section for questions so I dont clog up the "What Camera Should I Buy?" area. Thanks again.
Old May 3, 2011, 9:44 PM   #115

JimC and shoturtle I have tried doing the setup as you guys receomanded please look at this and let me know if this is more correct. The pictures for the most part came out fine other than white balence I think. https://picasaweb.google.com/tjamscad/20110503#
Old May 3, 2011, 10:35 PM   #116

That looks much better, but with it so overcast push the iso up to 3200, it will increase you shutter speed by a stop, and you will have less blur.
Old May 11, 2011, 12:29 AM   #117

I have taken almost 1000 pictures now and this camera is way better than i was giving it credit for. Thanks for all you help.
Old May 11, 2011, 1:24 AM   #118

It is a good camera, glad everything is working out for you.