Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 5, 2011, 9:03 AM   #11

Here are some pictures I have taken with the Canon SX100 IS. I am really concidering the Sony Alpha A230L for $349 from Walmart.
Attached Images

tjamscad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2011, 9:32 AM   #12

In as much as the Sony A230 is no longer in production, the prices have dropped somewhat, as there is still stock on dealer's shelves. The A230 has fast action, and a good numerically high ISO capability for its class.

It would also be less expensive than a Canon G12, a 4/3 camera, and the Canon S95.They are still available on E-Bay for example. The Sony 18-55mm kit lens and the Sony 55-200mm lens is the typical combination. With in-body IS every lens mounted on the camera has IS.

Obviously the A230 is larger in size than the typical compact camera, but is very capable of producing very good image quality. I have used the A230 personally a lot and feel that it is a very good step-up camera. I promise to pull out the correct image this time.

This A-230 photo was taken in Alaska, while on a cruise with no flash/and using just the existing stage lighting.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2011, 11:41 AM   #13

stage lighting is miss leading on how well camera work in low light.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 1:26 PM   #14

Alright just so I under stand. If i want great low light I am going to spend $500 bucks and dont get more than a 4x zoom. Let's say I want fair low light and more zoom. The SX100 was 10x zoom and it was not enough several times i wanted more. If i go SLR I am going to spend several hundred dollars to get what I want.

order of inportance.

1. low shutter lag (have kids need the moment)
2. zoom (soccor fields longer than 6x)
3. cost to a miniimim (less than $500)
4. works good in low light (school events never well lit)
Old Feb 5, 2011, 1:39 PM   #15

With what you are looking for you are really looking at a dslr.
Low shutter lag and soccer, is what a dslr are good at. With point and shoot it is pot luck if you can capture the moment on time.
500 or less will not give you a camera that will meet your requirements.
low light the larger sensor pns, but no zoom really.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 4:35 PM   #16

OK, just so I am perfectly clear. The SLR Sony Alpha A230L is DSLR and will do what I want just fine. I can get used lens and flash because this model uses the same as some older models. To start out just buying the SLR Sony Alpha A230L will be fine untill I learn the camera. Right?
Old Feb 5, 2011, 5:29 PM   #17

Yes the sony a230 is one option in the 500 dollar range with the lens you need. Canon XS is another, and the nikon d3000 is a third option in the 500 dollar range. The canon has the better AF system of the 3.

If you move up a little about about 20 dollars. You can get a much better dslr like the pentax k-x. It will give you even better low light, and HD also.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 6:04 PM   #18

I disagree with Shoturtle! No offense, but I think stage lighting is indeed a good test of a camera's lowlight ability. Yes, the Sony A-230 is one choice but it does a good job at a fair price. The OP has also lined up a used flash and some lenses. so he has already put together a viable, potential kit.

Here is what the A230 can do outdoors.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Feb 5, 2011, 6:12 PM   #19

Not really, with stage lighting, I have seen shots that were taken at 400-800iso, and there are times where I have seen shots at 200iso because the spot light provided plenty of light.

To really test low light, the high iso, 1600-3200 is where the camera need to be to see how well the camera handles low light shoot. And most people shoot in lighting much worst then the bright light of stages. Dinner parties are really tough at restaurants. There you will need the 1600-3200, and might have to accept 6400. As the flash might not be advisable to use sometimes.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 8:01 PM   #20

S/T-

As I see it the OP is looking at used equipment to save money and get a start with DSLR cameras. Certainly, the Canon XS might be a bit better, but only marginally so. At least from my point of view the Sony A-230 is a good performer, and a fun camera.

The OP has pretty much located his A230 kit, even including the external flash, so I will encourage him, so he can get a start with DSLR's and learn more.

Here is another A230 photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Feb 5, 2011 at 8:05 PM.