Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 6, 2011, 3:30 PM   #31

Wow this is hard I never knew so much was involved with trying to buy a camera. I defently think that being able to see on the lcd and view finder is a must. What am i looking at for options now. I have been usesing cnet.com to compare specs. Is that a good site to use or is there a better option for reviews and specs. Do you recomend used cameras? there are some of the older canon dslr 6megapixels in my area is it worth looking at.

Must haves
DSLR
Live view (i thnk it is called)
Cost less than $500
tjamscad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2011, 4:02 PM   #32

You might keep in mind that the Sony A3XX series all have LIVEVIEW. Perhaps a refurbished Sony A3XX camera is available in your area.

As you never told what area you live in, it is difficult to make a used camera judgment. Adorama in NYC usually has a fairly large selection of refurbished DSLR cameras. However, that is unimportant if you live overseas.

So let's begin with where you live, as the first portion of the search.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2011, 4:15 PM   #33

Oklahoma
Old Feb 6, 2011, 5:24 PM   #34

look at adorama.com and look at the canon XS, they have refrebs for 399. You will have liveview. And it has a nicer viewfinder then the sony A330. And they are canon refreb, and has a 1 year warranty with adorama. 90 day with all other brands.

http://www.adorama.com/ICADRXSKBR.html

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 6, 2011 at 5:57 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2011, 5:38 PM   #35

Ok, here is a portion of what www.adorama.com is showing under refurbished cameras. Please keep in mind that the selection changes all the time and is limited in quanity, Therefore, it is a good idea to check frequently.

In as much as Sony has the best LIVEVIEW implementation, in large part, due to your desire for an optical view finder + an effective LiveView, the Sony will have the greatest choice. For example, one of the best choices for LiveView and Optical view is the Sony A500 that will focus as quickly in LiveView as when using the optical view finder.

So you may want to research low the other camera manufacturers implement LiveView. Also keep in mind that if you can get by with the A230's optical view finder with no LiveView, you can save some $$.

I own both the A230 and the A500. I just automatically know that when I use the A230 I have no LiveView available to me. I use the optical view finder 95% of the time. As you might have guessed, I like the A230 a lot and consider it to be a fun camera.

I hope this helps.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2011, 5:53 PM   #36

500 dollar max, that puts the a500 out of it. And if that 500 dollar is with flash. that really puts the a500 out of the budget.

With the canon xs, you can add the yn 468 from ebay or amazon and will be at 500 dollars. Not the greatest flash but decent form allot of canon forum reviews.

The d3000 is the only other one that will meet the budget. The e620 is a good camera, but might be out of the budget once you add a flash.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 6:00 PM   #37

Ok, for my use optical would be fine I think but my wife would prefer the live view so having both is the best option.

Thanks

Last edited by tjamscad; Feb 6, 2011 at 6:03 PM.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 6:08 PM   #38
Administrator

If Live View is an important consideration (and it sounds like it is from your previous posts), I'd suggest trying any camera you want to consider in a store first.

Autofocus using Live View will be very slow with the Canon XS (best used with stationary subjects).

See the comments about it in the Canon XS Review Conclusion:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...-review-7.html

Quote:
Live View mode is something that is becoming almost standard on digital SLRs, whether it be a consumer model like the XS or a professional model. I find that this is a "We've got it" feature that everyone is jumping on board to offer. The usefulness of Live View on the Rebel XS (and XSi for that matter) is something that I could not find. Not only is it difficult to engage when compared to say the Sony A300/A350, but its at least a three step process to capture a single image. In my opinion, Sony is the only manufacture that has got this Live View concept down.
If you want fast Autofocus using Live View, I'd suggest sticking with a Sony dSLR model with Live View (any Sony A3xx or A5xx series camera will have fast Autofocus using Live View, thanks to a separate Live View Sensor in the viewfinder housing that allows the use of fast Phase Detect Autofocus without interrupting the Live View feed to the LCD).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2011, 6:14 PM   #39

Jim, look at the budget 500 with a flash. Can not do it with the A500 even with a refreb. A330 if it is available would be the only one that might fit, not sure if yongnuo has sony ttl flashes. I know they support nikon and canon ttl.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 6, 2011 at 6:17 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2011, 6:32 PM   #40
Administrator

You can't always have everything you want with a limited budget. ;-)

If Live View is an important feature (and it sounds like it is from a previous post), then the flash may have to wait.

You can buy a new Sony A390 kit with a lens for under $500 now. Here's an example for $449

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Camera-18.../ref=pd_cp_p_2

Or, you could buy a refurbished A330 for $419 from sonystyle.com (but personally, I'd go with the new A390 kit for $449 instead).

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665887572

Then, get a nice flash when budget permits, or buy a cheap third party flash like a Vivitar for use in the interim. Here's one for under $100 (but, you wouldn't get High Speed sync with it and it's zoom head is manual).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Series_1.html

Personally, I'd just save up for a better flash model like a Sony HVL-F42AM instead.

There are pros and cons to any camera. But, given the OP's comments about Live View, I'd suggest trying any camera under consideration in a store first (as Live View is best used with stationary subjects using a non-Sony dSLR model).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote