Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 6, 2011, 7:06 PM   #41

No, you can have liveview, and a flash with either the d3000 or the canon XS. Each plateform has their + and -

And the flash will do more for the indoor shots then the liveview. If the op wants better indoor photos, the flash is a much more important feature.

So the OP will need to decided a better liveview, which is actually awkward to use when shooting a dslr handheld. The viewfinder is much more stable. Of hold off and the flash, and have poorer indoor shoots. And the built in flash of all the dslr are pretty useless except for a filler flash.

Liveview speed is not important if you are using it on set shots, like tripod work for landscape.

with the nikon or canon you will be at the 500 with the flash, might be slightly less. With the sony you will be closer to 600 dollars with the A330 and 700 with the A500. It is your money, you are the one that need to decide what is more important to you. Hope this helps.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 6, 2011 at 7:08 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2011, 10:06 PM   #42

Clearly I have come to the right places with questions. Remember I am moving up from a Canon SX100IS. So most of what you guys are saying is above me but thanks to google i know more than I ever thought i would know. Anyway surely the built in flash is better on a DSLR than on the SX I had. I want the best bang for the buck, because of the limited knowlage of cameras that i have. I feel that any DSLR is above my knowlage and skill level as of today. With that said, I realize that his is a commitment and i can't have everything I want this second. Lets stay, around the $400 range and dont worry about flash, and extra lens today but keep in mind that that will come later and i dont intend on spending my kids collage money on camera stuff.

Olympus E-P1 Pen meets what i am looking for right, it is a referb at only 369 from that place that everyone seems to use
tjamscad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2011, 10:11 PM   #43

no the built in flash is not much better. All it is good for a filler flash. And if you have a longer lens on it, you run into shadow issues.

go to this link, www.dslrtips.com they have good youtube workshop to get started in dslr shopping.

If liveview is important with your requirement in your budget, canon XS or nikon D3000. If liveview is not, the A230 will be cheaper by 80 dollars. Between the XS and d3000, I would go with the canon.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 7:59 AM   #44

That is an excellent summary, S/T-

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 11:44 PM   #45

shoturtle you had mentioned the pentax kx being better than the cannon, that has live view right? I have narrowed to the sony a330, cannon xs, and now the pentax kx has my attion,

Item #
Photo ProductUnit
PriceQty TotalPNKX2LK
K-x D-SLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens & 50-200mm Lenses - Black $547.95
Remove$547.95

Last edited by tjamscad; Feb 7, 2011 at 11:49 PM.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 11:50 PM   #46

Yes it has live view. Much better low light ability with good 3200iso preformance, and can push to 6400 iso if you really need the shot. It also has the wireless flash feature. So if you get a sigma flash that can be a slave, you can do off camera flash with ttl. As the built in flash can be the master. It has a better AF then the sony, and seems to be slightly quicker then the XS.

The only thing it lack is AF focus point lights. I may bug some, and not others. Last I looked it was sell for about 500-520 when the k-r was release. The next level up.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 11:53 PM   #47

That is a pretty good deal. The k-x has a really good sensor, made by sony. It is the same one in the sony A500 and nikon d90, d5000 and d300. And you get HD.

It is the best bang for the buck camera, and was name 2010 best entry at tipa.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 12:08 AM   #48

that gets me more zoom to right I am think i need to just bite the bullit and go for that,
Old Feb 8, 2011, 12:13 AM   #49

it is a more useful setup with the 2 lenses. the 50-200 is decent starter that will give you some reach. Not sure what the price is with the 55-300mm kit. But that is better lens, much shaper. Think it is like 60 dollars more for the 2 lens kit with the longer zoom.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 12:36 AM   #50

But with the 3 camera you mention the k-x is the best one. But if you have any pentax question the guys and gals in the pentax forum are very active and helpful

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...msung-dslr-73/