Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 18, 2011, 11:58 PM   #51

Well bouns's at work paid out and after all the bills, and need a camera tomorrow. Walmart had a Canon XS new in box kit for 461 out the door. Thanks for all your help with this decision. Out of the three Sony A3xx, Pentax K-x, Canon XS. It came to my friends have Canon's so I can got to them with questions, and I could walk out with it tonight for tomorrow I want it.
tjamscad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:09 PM   #52

I had to take the XS back, Had some bills that became more important. But love every shot with it.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 4:14 PM   #53

I bought a a330 as it was a good deal and no-one in my area has the xs instock anymore. I was un-happy with it and took it back. the viewfinder is small and it do not want to focus correctly all the time. it was also slower than the XS, so that brings me back to what i really want. speed and low light, my budget is going to have to slide a little i'm sure, but i dont want to have to carry a flash everytime i want to take a picture inside. is the new canon t3 a good choice? or am i left at only the k-x
Old Apr 25, 2011, 4:27 PM   #54

The T3 is the replacement of the XS and it is a bit better, with HD and high iso performance. But since it is new, it is not discounted really. The k-x is a good option still.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 4:59 PM   #55

i have read reviews about the k-x that say the image stabilization is not constant, is that with early models and newer one wont have that problem.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 5:02 PM   #56

you do not need the IS sometime, if the K-x sense it is shooting a long exposure. It will turn of the IS. As you really need to shoot on a tripod on a long exposure, and IS will actually cause shake on a tripod. So if you shoot above 1/2 sec the IS stays on.

It is a common problem have when using IS, forgetting to turn it off on long exposures.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 5:30 PM   #57

I love my k-x. I've had no image stabilization issues whatsoever. I don't know what they are selling for currently, but I paid $699 on Amazon for the camera body, 18-55 mm lens and 55-300 mm lens. Good luck with whatever camera you choose!
acscoggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2011, 6:32 PM   #58

So how's the focus speed of the kx equal or better than the low end Canon
Old Apr 25, 2011, 9:38 PM   #59

Canon will have the faster AF speed. Canon leads in this department in the entry level.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 9:45 PM   #60

Shoturtle shoots canon and the pentax k-x, so he would be able to give you the comparisons. I can tell you what I like about the k-x, but I don't know much about the canon, so I can't compare them for you. I like the fact that the k-x has built in digital filters. You can do some really cool effects with them. Not sure if the canon has those or not. I love the fact that there are tons of old manual focus pentax lenses that can be used on the k-x. They are cheap and they're all over e-bay. I have some of my stepdad's old lenses and they are fun to play with. I find the k-x is very easy to use...very intuitive. I tried out the canon t1i in the store, and it was not as intuitive to me. That actually surprised me, because I had a canon point & shoot previously, so I expected the canon to be easier for me to figure out than the pentax, but it was the other way around. I really love my pentax. It is my first dslr, though, so maybe I would've loved a canon equally or more so. Anyway, just thought I'd give you some perspective from a person who's only had this camera for about 2 months. Good luck!
acscoggins is offline   Reply With Quote