Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:23 AM   #71

Generally external flash is not allowed at the kids school things, to distracting for the little ones but until I get to the point where I need that type of lens. I will look into the xs kx and t3
tjamscad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:27 AM   #72

Taken with the xs
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:35 AM   #73

https://picasaweb.google.com/m/viewe...65983375425265

Last edited by tjamscad; Apr 26, 2011 at 12:47 AM. Reason: wrong link
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:44 AM   #74

nice photos, I would go with the t3 or the k-x. You have more option with both of them, and for the low light stuff. Both shoot well at 3200iso. Better then the xs that stops at 1600.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:48 AM   #75

Uploaded the correct photos, the last 7 are the xs. I need to make more albums to clean that up
Old Apr 26, 2011, 2:48 AM   #76

tjamscad-
I have nowhere near the knowledge as the fine people that have been advising you so far but just to share... I was you about 4 months ago: family man looking for a newer camera to take pictures of soccer games outdoors (fast), a fast two year old indoors (good low light and short lag time/ quick autofocus) and I was looking at almost the exact same cameras as you priced close to $500 lower = better.
Final contenders were the Sony Alpa a330 kit refurbished from Sony & Pentax k-x. Being primarily a cheap SOB I went with the Sony and it is great!
My wife wanted to make sure it was easy to use and fast so she would not miss anymore shots of the toddler. At first she was a little intimidated by the size and "all of the settings" but now it is her go to camera and she just leaves it on auto.
We were amazed with the indoor shots we got from Disney on ice in low light with no flash.
My point... I can't imagine you will be disappointed with either camera. One dad to another, go get your hands on both and play with them. Whichever one you like more pull the trigger and start having fun.
ckbodden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:09 AM   #77

tjamscad-

if you read in other major photo Forums, you know that the T3 has not received overwhelming user acceptance. You are at ease and comfortable with the Canon XS, which is less expensive, so you might not cross that off your list.

Money has been a problem, as it is with many folks these days, the lesser cost of the XS would allow you a bit more of the budget to spend on lenses. Analyze, how often you are using those really numerically high ISO settings. You might find the XS fills the bill nicely.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:54 AM   #78

ckbodden, thanks for you input. I was not happy with the a330.

mtclimber, that is a good point however I did not use the xs in doors at all. It is still on the list.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 2:25 PM   #79

If you are going indoors, got with T3 or the k-x. The higher iso with will let the kit lens be more effect in low light.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 8:17 PM   #80

so to add to my confusion my bestbuy store has the nikon d3100 for 2$ less than the t3 is, i have done no research on nikion but spec wise it seems better than the t3