Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 8, 2011, 3:51 PM   #11

The Fuji F70exr is on sale at Amazon for about $163. Although it came out about two years ago, its low light capabilities are still somewhat impressive. It also has a 10X optical zoom. It's not quite as good in low light as the F200exr, but it's much cheaper.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 11:33 AM   #12

hi, i'm looking for a good low light pns as well.. the s95, lx-5, sd4000, sd 4500, tx-7 are on my list, from what i gathered through the net.

comparing lx-5 and s95, which wins in low light setting? and does s95 shoot better in low light compared to sd4000? are sd4000 and sd4500 equivalent (in terms of low light performance)? what about tx-7? i do fancy its slim and sleek outlook.. and if i'm not mistaken, i did came across something about sd4000 being a better camera in autofocus mode than s95..? is that true?

i'm choosing a pns for my mum, so i would appreciate a smooth and intuitive interface. sorry for the lengthy questions and all, i'm so confused, can someone please enlighten me? :/
poring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 11:41 AM   #13

sd4000, sd4500 and the tx-7 are not in the same leage as the s95 in low light. The larger sensor of the s95 is a huge advantage when you can not use a long exposure or out of flash range.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 3:08 PM   #14

[QUOTE=poring;1199399]hi, i'm looking for a good low light pns as well.. the s95, lx-5, sd4000, sd 4500, tx-7 are on my list, from what i gathered through the net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poring View Post
comparing lx-5 and s95, which wins in low light setting?
Both perform very similarly. However, for OOC (out of camera) images the S95 wins, which sounds like it might be a factor for you.

Quote:
and does s95 shoot better in low light compared to sd4000?
Yes. The SD4000 performs very well in low light considering its tiny sensor and price, but the S95 is indeed better.

Quote:
are sd4000 and sd4500 equivalent (in terms of low light performance)?
No, the SD4000 has a brighter lens (lower F number) which is what makes it a better performer in low light.

Quote:
what about tx-7?
Not suited to low light at all. It will perform worse than the SD4000.

Quote:
i did came across something about sd4000 being a better camera in autofocus mode than s95..? is that true?
Not autofocus mode - auto mode. It is slightly better in full auto mode from what I have heard also but I wouldn't recommend ever shooting in that mode unless you must anyway. Program Auto is nearly the same but gives you the ability to set some options yourself, such as limiting the max ISO (I have my S95 set to a max of ISO 640).

Quote:
i'm choosing a pns for my mum, so i would appreciate a smooth and intuitive interface. sorry for the lengthy questions and all, i'm so confused, can someone please enlighten me? :/
I don't own an SD4000 but the S95 is surely very easy to use. It has plenty of options for the enthusiast, but it can just as easily be used by a novice. The shooting menu is simplistic and has only the basic options needed to adjust a few settings - or you don't have to adjust them at all.

If money is a concern, then the SD4000 is a good choice; it's a very good camera imho. If money is not a concern, then the S95 is easily a better camera.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 4:38 PM   #15

An excellent and concise reply, Five-O

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 7:29 PM   #16

I have a Nikon S8100 and have not experienced the focus problems that others have reported.
It has 10X zoom and is very good in low light and also at higher ISO's. It does not have aperture or shutter priority nor does it have a manual mode. What it does have is several scene modes, one that picks the scene and sets the camera and another where you pick the scene mode. It also has a very good burst mode.
I had the ZS7 and returned it in favor of the Nikon. The ZS7 was very poor in low light and any iso above 400. Even 400 was not that good iof you were indoors and used the flash, which is said to be weak and I did have problems with the flash not being enough. For what you are looking for and at a price of 249.00 you could take a close look at the S8100.

Bob
rebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 10:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebs View Post
I have a Nikon S8100 and have not experienced the focus problems that others have reported.
It has 10X zoom and is very good in low light and also at higher ISO's. It does not have aperture or shutter priority nor does it have a manual mode. What it does have is several scene modes, one that picks the scene and sets the camera and another where you pick the scene mode. It also has a very good burst mode.
I had the ZS7 and returned it in favor of the Nikon. The ZS7 was very poor in low light and any iso above 400. Even 400 was not that good iof you were indoors and used the flash, which is said to be weak and I did have problems with the flash not being enough. For what you are looking for and at a price of 249.00 you could take a close look at the S8100.

Bob
While I would expect the S8100 to do better than the ZS7 in low light due to its CMOS sensor, it doesn't do nearly as well as even the SD4000 and costs about the same. The SD4000 has about 2 extra stops on the lens at the wide end and the same, or a very similar, sensor. Mind you I am not saying the high ISO is necessarily bad; I am simply saying that is impossible for it to capture as much detail in low light as the SD4000 as it simply doesn't let in as much light. Additionally, it looks like the S8100 only has a 4s max shutter whereas the SD4000 has a 15s max so even from a tripod, the SD4000 is going to outperform it in low light.

Now back when the S8100 was $179 at Target, that was another story. I think at $179 it was a good cam for the money.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 4:51 AM   #18

thank you FiveO especially and others for the constructive input. FiveO you cleared all my doubts!

it's between s95 and sd4000 for me then, shall see how much is my budget
poring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2011, 6:33 AM   #19

I just purchased the SD4000 IS as a backup for my DSLR. Below you will find in order ISO 400, 800 and 1000. This was my first outing, kids sharing pets at a senior assisted living facility, with the camera and they are all in P mode, auto everything. For the money, I am impressed. I could get even better using the manual modes and processing. For the money, a little over $200, I find it a heck of a buy.
Attached Images

pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2011, 6:35 AM   #20

I would like the SD4000 if it had a bigger zoom. I bought the S8100 at walmart for 219.00
rebs is offline   Reply With Quote