Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 6, 2011, 12:41 PM   #1

Default Serious 35mm user to digital age

Back in the 90's I was serious about my photography. I even tried freelance travel photography but despite a good few of my images (velvia) being in an agency I didn't have much success. In early 2000's my children were born and I have some nice shots of them on 35mm ( eos 50e). However I didn't make the leap to digital SLR for a number of reasons and now use a canon G10 for the easy to carry on hols and trips type of photography. Easy to carry is very important when you have small kids who need to be pushed around etc but now they are beyond all that and an SLR might be manageable. So now I have my G10, which I find limiting for catching those shots of kids in an instant, the shutter lag is a pain. Large enlargments are not great either. So I want something with ability to capture moments without shutter lag and prints I can enlarge to A3 and bigger. I still have my prime EF mount canon lenses (24,35 and 50mm as well as a 70-210) and it seems a shame to get a a camera designed for the EF-S lenses, the lenses full potential will be wasted. So I'm thinking I'll save up for a 5DMk1 or just sell the lenses and the G10 and get one of the smaller cameras coming on market the micro 4/3 variety. Any one here have that problem and what would they recommend? I know that the longer I use the G10 that I am losing opportunities to record the kids in great quality shots that can be enlarged to A3 and beyond. I feel that I am almost the digital equivalent of a 120 small format camera film user( you know that small cartridge format used in the 80's which while handy back then for many, has left many an album full of grainy memories) Help.

Last edited by BMurr; Feb 6, 2011 at 4:10 PM. Reason: wobbly fingers on keybioard
BMurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2011, 2:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMurr View Post
... I still have my prime EF mount canon lenses( 24,35 and 50mm as well as a 70-210) and it seems a shame to get a a camera designed for the EF-S lenses, the lenses full potential will be wasted. ...
Don't think about it that way. Think about it this way: an APS-C dSLR will be extracting the very best portion of those great lenses. They won't be going to waste; they'll be glorified and venerated, honored for the best they can do while their few flaws are concealed.

If you thought they were great on a 35mm film camera, wait until you see them on an APS-C camera!
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2011, 2:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
If you thought they were great on a 35mm film camera, wait until you see them on an APS-C camera!
Cheers Tcav, I must borrow a canon APS-C and try it out and see what the images are like. I'll hang on to the lenses and when the 5d Mk2 is superceded get one knocked down and like your signature suggests I'll be in what I would have considered medium format territory ( once had a fuji 6x9 rangefinder)without expense of film.
BMurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2011, 3:23 PM   #4

Take a look at this: http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/canon/cameras
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 4:06 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Yes, if going to an APS-C camera, make sure you get one with one of the EF-S kit lenses, and all your other lenses will still continue to be very useful, just at one FL's remove.

The only thing that will be missing is a wide-angle prime, as there are few options (at a reasonable price) for a 24mm equivalent prime, but most of the wide-angle zooms are certainly very sharp at the wide end, and distortion is easily correctible in software where it is a problem.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 2:22 PM   #6

I'm surprised you can't get A3 sized prints out of your G10...it's 15 MP. I used to own a G10 and have gotten 16x20 prints, and the G10 did an excellent job with fine detail (at least at base ISO). Regardless, I found it too limiting too and eventually sold it.

A dslr is probably your best bet to do everything you want, and your lenses will work fine on current DSLR's. As was mentioned, you won't have the wide end, but you are using only the center of the lenses on an APS-C camera, not the edges and corners where they are traditionally weakest. Micro 4/3 is an option, but they focus slower, and don't do as well in low light. The only weakness DSLR's have is their size, and if you go up to the 5d, you will have a large kit, that you may not want to tote around.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote