Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 6, 2011, 9:27 PM   #1

Default HELP Nikon D5000 or D3100

I am very confussed. New to DSLR's. Both are on sale everywhere you look. I will use the video option a lot as well. I will use it for family etc, also we own a dog training business and will use it for both pics an vids of them for our web site. Very confused and need help
Thanks
Paul Howell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2011, 9:36 PM   #2

for video, dslr are required allot of effort, a camcorder would do a better job. The AF system on a dslr are not great for Video. If you want a camera that does well with video, and is a pretty good camera. The sony SLT's, the A55 or A33 would shoot video better. And give you good photos. The AF system sony AF for video works better then a dslr. The photos are good, but a little behind a dslr.

If you want a dslr, the canon has a better DSLR video package, but you will want to shoot in Manual Focus over Auto Focus.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 12:25 AM   #3

wel we can suggest many other brands but it depends on whether suggestd camera is available in ur local market or not
so 4m ur options i wud choose d3100 for its wider recording resolutionz being newer in line the disadvantages r common for both but d5000 has better featurz like lcd, bracketing and few other optionz
if 1080p recording is not ur primary concern then d5000 wud b an obvious choice its a better dslr than d3100 ...
but also consider option of a fullhd handy cam+pentax k-x combo for salt+sugar
opethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 2:03 PM   #4

I own the D5000 and love it. The D3100 is very similar, so there isn't a lot of difference to base your choice on. The advantages of the D3100 over the D5000 include:

D3100 ----------------------------------------- D5000 (this board doesn't support formatting apparently)
14 MPixels ---------------------------------- 12 MPixels
Full HD video at 24 fps ----------------------- Not available
720p at 30fps ------------------------------- 720p at 24fps
12,800 max ISO ----------------------------- 6400 max ISO

Advantages of the D5000 over the D3100 include:

D5000 ----------------------------------------- D3100
Articulated LCD screen ----------------------- Not available
4 fps continuous shooting -------------------- 3 fps continuous shooting
Supports wireless remote --------------------- Not available
(both support wired remote, which is the better option to my mind)
3-exposure bracketing ------------------------ Not available
This is a big deal if you are into HDR photography, less so otherwise.

AFAICT, everything else is pretty much the same between them.

Last edited by tclune; Feb 7, 2011 at 2:08 PM. Reason: formatting
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 10:18 PM   #5

wow Still confused Both are same price but if the 5000 is being discontinued then parts and repair will be a problem. Maybe 2 cameras would be better a less expensive DSLR and a Sont video camera Wish there was a quick answer
Paul Howell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 7:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Howell View Post
wow Still confused Both are same price but if the 5000 is being discontinued then parts and repair will be a problem.
You will be able to get a D5k fixed if there are problems. Keep in mind, many parts remain the same (especially buttons and switches) from model to model. Also, the D3100 is the entry level model, and Nikon is on a 12-14 month cycle, meaning it will likely be discontinued within a year or so. Another thing to remember is, at a certain point, (likely within 2-3, maybe sooner with consumer models), it won't be worth repairing the camera anyway. All in all, my point is this shouldn't play into your decision.

Quote:
Maybe 2 cameras would be better a less expensive DSLR and a Sont video camera Wish there was a quick answer
If your serious about video, then yes, a camcorder is a better option. Really, a point and shoot digicam is easier to use for video than a DSLR. A DSLR is good for short clips, and grabbing a moment when it comes up, but it is awkward to use. I have a D5k, and have shot some video with it, but it takes some getting used to. The articulating screen does make it a little easier to use.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote