Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 8, 2011, 6:54 AM   #1
skv

Default The quite urgent decision between HX5V and TZ10/ZS7

Hi!

I'm about to buy an point and shoot camera, and the TZ10 is one of the contenders!

I'm also looking at the Sony HX5V, and I've read about everything I can about the two cameras. I'm aware of the fact that the HX5V's noise reduction is really over-doing it. But I guess that won't make much of a difference if you're not gonna pixel peep or print up a quite large print? Or is it really visible easier than that? I need the camera for a semester abroad, and ofcourse i want great pictures. But they don't need to be absolutely perfect.

I also wonder how the low-light capabilities are for both of these, since I've read alot about the handheld twilight mode of the Sony. Can the TZ10 compete with that, handheld without a tripod that is?

Also, which one has the best auto-mode? I do like the fact that the TZ10 has aperture- and shutter priority, but I also want a really good auto mode.

Thanks in advance guys, this forum has been a great help!

SKV
skv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2011, 11:12 AM   #2

SKV-

Please read my detailed reply to your post in the Panasonic P+S folder.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 1:44 PM   #3

I would opt for the S90 or S95 the S95 has an excellent Auto Mode...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 3:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by skv View Post
Hi!

I'm about to buy an point and shoot camera, and the TZ10 is one of the contenders!

I'm also looking at the Sony HX5V, and I've read about everything I can about the two cameras. I'm aware of the fact that the HX5V's noise reduction is really over-doing it. But I guess that won't make much of a difference if you're not gonna pixel peep or print up a quite large print? Or is it really visible easier than that? I need the camera for a semester abroad, and ofcourse i want great pictures. But they don't need to be absolutely perfect.

I also wonder how the low-light capabilities are for both of these, since I've read alot about the handheld twilight mode of the Sony. Can the TZ10 compete with that, handheld without a tripod that is?

Also, which one has the best auto-mode? I do like the fact that the TZ10 has aperture- and shutter priority, but I also want a really good auto mode.

Thanks in advance guys, this forum has been a great help!

SKV

The NR on the HX5V is clearly visible in 4x6 prints in some cases (i.e. grass). Neither camera is good in low light. HHT works fairly well but that only applies to still objects and still doesn't match the performance of a camera with a larger sensor and brighter lens like the S95.