Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 8, 2011, 9:14 AM   #1

Default Replacement for a Canon PowerShot A710 IS

Hello guys!

I decided its time to up-grade my trusty old Canon PowerShot A710 IS digital camera, but I must admit I have a hard time making a choice...

In fact I don't know if I should stick with Canon or change the brand...

But let me tell you what I'm after: a camera that can take good pictures under low light conditions without the use of flash. I'm trying to take pictures of my 4 months old son, and as you can imagine I cannot get him to stand still long enough... I want to be able to capture his pretty little smile and eye expression (that can melt even the toughest heart) even when we're in a small room, lit up only by a measly 75W bulb on the ceiling... .

I also want to make outdoor pictures... so... a camera with an angle as wide as possible...

I'm not interested in the number of megapixels, but I'm interested in optical image stabilization, optical zoom (minimum 5x) and advanced modes (exposure priority, aperture priority, full manual mode.. etc...).

So far I have in mind these brands: Canon, Panasonic and Nikon...

Price range... maximum 400$ let's say...

Camera size... compact... I'm not looking for a super zoomer, dSLR like...

Thank you in advance for your advices... If you have any additional questions, do not hesitate to ask them....
AndreiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2011, 11:31 AM   #2

Andre-

Take a look at the Panasonic FZ35 or FZ40. Both are very good super zoom cameras.
They both have a very effective High Sensitivity Scene Mode which can easily take photos under that 75w light bulb of yours. In fact, I have attached a sample photo taken under a 60w light bulb mounted in a ceiling fixture, just to be sure that what I am recommending can be done easily. Using the High Sensitivity Scene Mode, the Panasonic FZ35 and FZ40 reduce the resolution to 3mp.

The FZ35 has a 27mm wide angle and the FZ40 has a 25mm wide angle, giving the FZ40 a wider angle. Another thing that I noticed is that when you are using an overhead light, you have to be careful of shadows.

If the physical size of the FZ35 and FZ40 is bothersome to you, you can do the same thing with the ZS5 and ZS7 models as well. The ZS5 and ZS7 are physically smaller in size, but their built-in flash unit is measurably weak in its output, while the FZ35 and FZ40 have a built-in flash unit with a normal flash output.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 9:54 AM   #3

First of all, thank you for your quick reply!

ZS7 is the size I'm looking for... I'll have to check its availability in my country (Romania).
Can you tell me how this camera compares to FX75 or previous FX versions (60...65...)?

After reading here I wanted to go with the FX75 camera, but it seems I cannot find it (at least easily) at any retailer in Romania. Same for the Canon SD4500 IS... this was my second choice...

This is why I started this topic... knowing that for sure there are other possibilities.. other cameras to choose from.

I'll dig a little deeper for the ZS7, worst case I may have to order from a European that also ships to Romania...

FZ35 and FZ40 look really appealing... but my "orders" are straight: it must be a compact camera .

You said you attached a sample picture... but I cannot see the attachment anywhere...

Last edited by AndreiK; Feb 9, 2011 at 9:56 AM. Reason: Oh... forgot something....
Old Feb 9, 2011, 9:56 AM   #4

You said you attached a sample picture... but I cannot see the attachment anywhere...
Old Feb 9, 2011, 11:15 AM   #5

Default Missing Photo Sample

I am sorry that the photo sample apparently got somehow posted in the wrong place. I have attached another copy to this post. It is a photo that I took on 08 February using the ZS5, a "sister" to the ZS7 camera. I used the same High Sensitivity Scene Mode (3mp). The camera used an ISO 1600 setting that would have normally caused measurable visible noise at that ISO setting, but due to the reduced resolution, the visible noise was minimized.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 3:38 PM   #6

for what your main focus is on, skip all the small sensor zoom digicams. Look at something like the sony s95, the new olympus xz1, or the panasonic lx5 with a 1/1.67 sensor and fast lens. The much larger sensor will give much better results when indoors capturing those special moments. All the other digicam with the 1/2.23 sensors really will not do a great job.

The olympus has a 4x zoom, while the panny and canon has a 3.5x. That is one of the things you have to give up for low light ability in a digicam.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 26, 2011 at 11:41 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 3:48 PM   #7
Super Moderator

i would agree with S/T, if you are looking for indoor without flash, and want a nice wide-angle lens for outdoors as well, one of the bigger sensor compacts (S95/XZ1/LX5) would be a great choice.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 4:38 AM   #8

Thanks all of you for your suggestions...

I'll read the reviews, check for prices and availability in my country and make a choice... I will let you know what I decided...

I just hope that my budget for purchasing this camera won't get smaller.

Best regards!