Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 10, 2011, 9:32 AM   #1

Default Can I use old 35 mm camera lenses on dslr?

I had more or less decided to buy an Olympus EPL1 this morning and had even added it to my Amazon cart, when my dad called to tell me that he has his old Pentax 35 mm camera with a variety of lenses and filters that he would be willing to give me. I am guessing that I could not use those on the EPL1, but could I use them on a dslr? Would it have to be Pentax? I've seen many mentions of the Pentax k-x...is that good for a beginner like me?
acscoggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:21 AM   #2

Yes, those lenses can be re-used. But, only on a Pentax brand DSLR camera. Pentax has preserved the mount, and by and large all old Pentax lenses can be used on Pentax brand DSLR cameras. Depending on the era that those lenses come from the lenses may or may not auto focus, and exposure will have to be manually set. In the Kx model, the camera actually helps you solve the exposure equation.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:30 AM   #3

Everything you wanted to know about the compatibility of older 35mm Pentax lenses and the new dslr bodies:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentax_K_mount

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 10:58 AM   #4

Thanks for the info. I ordered the Pentax k-x yesterday and it should arrive on Monday. Played with one in the store and I really liked it. I'm sure there will be a steep learning curve, but I'm looking forward to it! Actually, the k-x seemed easier to use than the epl-1 once I really started playing with both cameras and comparing them. I hope I'll be happy with my purchase!
Old Feb 11, 2011, 3:34 PM   #5

Congratulations on your new Pentax Kx! I am sure that you will enjoy your new camera. Your experience is the same as mine. I also found the Pentax Kx easier to handle and operate than the Olympus EPL1.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 3:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Congratulations on your new Pentax Kx! I am sure that you will enjoy your new camera. Your experience is the same as mine. I also found the Pentax Kx easier to handle and operate than the Olympus EPL1.
Thanks! And I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who found the epl1 a little difficult to use. It was like the camera was the one making the decisions instead of the user. I guess that's not always a bad thing, but it's not what I want.

I also wanted to say thanks to you and the other members of this forum who have provided such a vast amount of information that helped me ultimately decide to go the dslr route. In the end, I decided that a dslr is really the only camera that can give me everything I want out of a camera. Maybe it'll be a little tougher in the beginning, but as I learn more about photography, I believe I'll be much better served with a dslr than an advanced point and shoot.