Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 10, 2011, 8:29 PM   #1

Default FZ35, P100 or Nikon DXXX

Hi,

First post, looking for a little help. Been reading review after review, thread after thread, just can't make up my mind.

Looking for a Bridge/Entry SLR, for, Jack-of-all-trades type idea. I am not a photographer, nor much of an enthusiast, but I take tons of pictures and like to play with controls. $200-400.

Looking for:

1) Responsiveness - I'm using a Fuji Finepix S1000, and can't go on about how much I hate about, click....(1 second)....shutter.....(2 seconds)......ready. Looking for fast shot to shot.

2) Manual controls - PASM, white balance, ISO, etc. Like to screw around, not a fan of the modern, "Scene" modes and such.

3) Moderate zoom level - 10X equivalent or greater. Don't need pinnochio lenses, but something moderate.

Can't really specify what I like to take pictures of, because I take pictures of everything from the puppy to a bird 200 metres away to sports to landscape.

IQ is not a killer for me. I like a sharp photo, but I am no perfectionist. Most are left in the form they are taken in, not much in the way of cropping or editing after the fact.

Leaning toward the FZ35 for all around capabilities.

Other possiblity is an SLR, Nikon D (Whichever model), likely used. Mrs. has a D60 so lenses can be shared, but would rather try to avoid the complexity of it.

Lastly is the P100 with awesome burst and shot to shot times, but apparently plagued with it's share of problems?

Any thoughts?
Archie Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2011, 8:36 PM   #2

Do you shoot at dawn or dusk when shooting you outdoor stuff. And you also mention sports

If you shoot your outdoor stuff at dusk or dawn. You will want something that has good low light ability shooting at 1600 or 3200 iso. So that will rule out a megazoom. They do not shoot past 800iso with any good results.

Also you mention sports. The shutter lag time and slower contrast base AF will not allow you to track at shoot the moment you want. That is why all sport shooter use a dslr. Fast phase detect AF and no shutter lag.

So if this is important to you, you really need a dslr. The nikon DXXX are their high end APS-c dslr, much more advance then the d60. You might want to look at a D90 for what you want to shoot with sports. Or if you can find a nice used d300 it will be ideal, but they are still pretty expensive.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 8:45 PM   #3

Thanks. I think I was expecting that.

Agreed, the responsiveness is the most desirable, just didn't want to lose the zoom flexibility. Would rather have 10X zoom than low-light, but your right, I probably won't be happy until I get a responsive camera which means SLR.

Guess I'm just scared of $400 camera (Used) & $500 lense to get the reach back. I use it often.
Archie Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 9:33 PM   #4

A Pentax Kx two lens kit with the Pentax 18-55mm and Pentax 55-300mm lenses comes within your budget, while giving you the needed zoom, image quality, and the high ISO capability.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 9:50 PM   #5

There is a D60 in the family already, makes little sense to go with 2 different systems.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 10:34 AM   #6

S/T-

I agree, as the potential for sharing lenses is excellent. A used Nikon D40 can be found easily for around $250.00, keeping it to the lower end of the budget. The D40 still remains a "very sought after camera."

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 7:30 PM   #7

It's true that a DSLR, even one from 4 or 5 years back, with a decent lens will give you better image quality, especially in less than ideal lighting. However, I think you would be happy with the FZ35. It's a great all around camera. It has a pretty short shutter lag (much faster than your Fuji). It's better than its replacements, the FZ40 and FZ100, in low light. Go to imaging-resource for a review. Very detailed, very positive. I had the FZ28 and loved it. You don't seem like a perfectionist in your demands for image quality. If you have the FZ35, it's easy to carry around, so you will carry it around. The Nikon D40 is a nice camera but to get a single lens that covers most of the zoom range covered by the FZ35, you would need to spend more, much more than the fZ35. They used to have the Tamron 18-250 for about $280 for Nikon DSLR's. The Tamron 18-270 is much more expensive. Get what you want. If you want a DSLR, good for you. If you want a single super zoom, though, don't abandon the FZ35. It's selling for about $240 with free shipping at a number of reputable etailers.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 7:38 PM   #8

The bridge cams' speeds generally depend on whether you are shooting RAW or not. Both the FZ35 and FZ40 are quick enough shooting JPEG but there's a noticeable delay when shooting RAW on both. The FZ100 is blazing fast with both RAW and JPEG but the IQ doesn't sit well with many people.

If you're shooting JPEG, then definitely consider the FZ35 and FZ40. I prefer the FZ40 for its handling, longer reach, and color output but head to head, the FZ35 does have slightly better IQ and does a little better in low light also (though both suck in low light).
Old Feb 11, 2011, 8:43 PM   #9

Based on the facts that you already have a Nikon D60 in the family, and your budget is low, I think a used Nikon would be the most logical solution.

KEH.COM has a used Nikon D40X with 18-135mm lens in EX+ condition for 599.00USD

Here's the link:http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Digi...991016420?r=FE

Not sure if you're familiar with KEH but they are a very reputable online dealer of used cameras. Their rating is very conservative.

Good luck in whatever direction you decide, but based on your requirements it is clear that the only camera that will give you the responsivenss you're looking for is a dslr.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 11:08 PM   #10

IQ is not a killer for you. FZ35 should do well for what you described in what you want and need from a camera. A dSLR body is not an investment. The lenses are. The lumix lens used for the Pana cameras are very good and the zoom is as well.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote