Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 11, 2011, 4:01 PM   #1

Default Need a good camera/lens for a Time-Lapse project

Hey all,

Looking for a little help on a work project. We are doing a large remodel at work that will last up to 2 1/2 months; I need it to take a picture every hour during this time.

Any recommendations on a camera and which lens to use with it. Obviously I will want more of a wide angle and somewhat fast lens to avoid flash and motion blur.

Thanks,
firstascent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2011, 4:04 PM   #2

Have you considered a webcam? Much of what you want to do can be controlled via generic webcam software.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 4:08 PM   #3

No, I have not looked into that method yet. Thanks for that info, I will consider that as well, as long as it can product good images.
Although given it's mounted location, I may not be able to keep a computer near by it so that may not work.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 4:31 PM   #4

firstascent-

What is the budget for this project?

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 4:50 PM   #5

Sarah,

Budget is 5-700, meaning $500 but I can go over a little if it helps =)
Old Feb 11, 2011, 5:34 PM   #6

firstascent-

Certainly a large imager camera such as the Canon G11 or G12 would probably serve you best, will stay within your budget, and will provide the facility of a hot shoe that will allow you to easily add and use an external flash, should the need arise for flash photos of larger areas.

I have attached a G11 photo (and a link to the full resolution image) taken with a Canon EX270 external flash so show you the flash coverage you can obtain in very large rooms and areas. Here is the link to the full resolution copy of the photo:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ca...21_JBQif-L.jpg

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Feb 13, 2011, 3:19 AM   #7

Several years ago I created a time-lapse of us building our own house. I mounted an old digital camera in a home-built waterproof box, and connected it to my old laptop. Then I used some camera control software to take a picture every 15 minutes (over the course of 20 months). After deleting night time shots, and days when we weren't building, I combined the images into a movie file (it's on my web page at http://www.mountain-software.com/videos.htm).

In my case, the camera was an old Olympus camera (only 3 megapixel if memory serves), and used a serial interface. I made special cables to supply power and data to the camera. I don't know what control software is available for modern cameras that use USB, but it may be another option to investigate.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 6:26 PM   #8

Thank you all for your help/suggestions,

I'm still not sure what route I am going to go. I definitely want to go with some type of camera with a timer, no computer involved given the odd location it will be mounted.

I was looking at some point n shoot camera's, I looked at some entry level dslr such as the D3000 from nikon; but even with those I'm not sure what to use for a timer?
Canon has a timer but it doesn't seem to be compatible with all of their camera's, although Ive read good things about it on some time lapse websites. It was the TC-80N3

Can anyone recommend some interval timers?
Old Feb 22, 2011, 6:41 PM   #9

firstascent-

I found this good article at CNET on interval timers:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7593_102-341294.html

I think that should get you going. If you need more help, please just return to this thread and I will be here to assist you.

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 22, 2011, 9:19 PM   #10

Good Evening,

There are several ways you can go. You say a good camera and lens. That usually implies that you are looking for a dSLR, however I am not quite sure that is the way to go. The are dSLRs, bridge cameras and point and shoots. dSLRs have mechanical shutters that are going to wear, but do have larger sensors. The other two have electronic shutters that I think would be better, but have smaller sensors.

You are also going to need something to trigger the camera once an hour, and that implies some sort of external power supply, along with mounting the camera (tripod).

There is an extension to the Canon camera line - CHDK which is a software utility that will trigger the camera for your selectable duration. Here is a link to it....

On the link it shows the cameras that it will support. From that list you want to find one that has an external power supply available. You will probably need to pick up a tripod or some way to mount the camera. Will it be inside or outside. If outside it will need power and some sort of shelter. If inside you need to place it with a view and yet out of the way. You will need the largest SD card that the camera can handle (actually several - so that you can swap them out and store off the images).

hope that helps....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote