Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 14, 2011, 2:27 PM   #21

Another pro for Pentax is that the pop-up flash can be master for an off-camera flash. used in wireless bounce mode, you'll be able to get clear sharp pictures in your home. Canon requires two add-on flashes to achieve this. a perhaps-too-quick read indicates that the master flash can be the 580exII model but nothing lower. i call it expensive.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2011, 2:47 PM   #22

I greatly appreciate the last two comments, but I have to say frank in toronto, I have no idea what you are saying, but I'm pretty sure it's good. I've since looked at many photos from both the T1i and the Kx and I know for sure that with either one, if I can't get any good pics, then it's my fault. They both are capable of taking excellent pics. I'll probably go with the camera I can get the best deal on. Thanks for all the input.
jimsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2011, 2:57 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
Another pro for Pentax is that the pop-up flash can be master for an off-camera flash. used in wireless bounce mode, you'll be able to get clear sharp pictures in your home. Canon requires two add-on flashes to achieve this. a perhaps-too-quick read indicates that the master flash can be the 580exII model but nothing lower. i call it expensive.
Frank - it's a nice feature. But the truth is, "for pictures in the home" setting up a second flash (mounted on something) is rarely an easy thing to do. Using a shoe-mounted flash with reliable TTL metering has provided some great family shots. Pentax has a lot going for it, but it's implementation of TTL isn't one of their best selling points. Again, controlling flash wirelessly can be beneficial but for ordinary standard family shots I disagree. I have multiple flash units and trying to position a single external flash for coverage of the room just doesn't work well. It's much easier to use the flash mounted on the shoe so I can move where I need to move:

For controlled portrait work, off-camera works great - but with family and kids you can't control where events will happen and buying enough flashes to strobe the whole house just doesn't make sense either.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2011, 3:14 PM   #24

I had a long response typed in but, wouldn't ya know, i got logged off. LOST!! But here's the gist:
Pentax wireless explained in perhaps too great detail:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vk5kxut2tI

In homes, I sometimes hold the off camera flash in one hand or enlist an aid. or just sit it on a dresser pointed to bounce off the wall.

Here's an example that needs more work but time was short. The model was about 12 feet away thru a no-go zone (on the other side of a non-working kiln at Toronto brick-works). This fun kind of shot would not be possible without wireless. and i can't see an amateur buying pocket wizards and such for the odd shot. like other features, nice to have.
Attached Images

Old Feb 14, 2011, 3:22 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
Here's an example that needs more work but time was short. The model was about 12 feet away thru a no-go zone (on the other side of a non-working kiln at Toronto brick-works). This fun kind of shot would not be possible without wireless. and i can't see an amateur buying pocket wizards and such for the odd shot. like other features, nice to have.
Frank it's tough to tell since the model is so tiny in the frame but it appears her features have been completely blown out. What good is wireless flash if it doesn't meter properly?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2011, 3:31 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Frank it's tough to tell since the model is so tiny in the frame but it appears her features have been completely blown out. What good is wireless flash if it doesn't meter properly?
They are. I think I was the problem. I wasn't bouncing properly. I didn't get the power level set right. I'm pretty sure someone who knows more than me could have got it right in short order. The point of the example was to show the OP another use for wireless. Not to belabor the issue, here's another example. I think this feature is important. Others may never use it.
Attached Images

Old Feb 14, 2011, 7:08 PM   #27

Pentax has been well known over the years for it's medium format cameras...in film the 645 and and the 6 X 7.

In digital Pentax recently brought out the Pentax 645 digital.

Medium format has a larger sensor than full frame and more and larger mega pixels.

The medium format cameras have the potential...all other things being equal...the potential to produce better quality pictures than a full frame. Some medium format digital cameras include Pentax, Mamiya, Hassleblad, etc.

But although full frame cameras are very expensive...you have to hold onto your hat for digital medium format...they're very expensive...out of reach for most amateur photographers and a number of pros.

I still have my film medium format camera system...a Mamiya with three Mamiya Sekor MF, lenses. The negs are quite large and my Mamiya has produced some beautiful pictures from a technical standpoint.

But, even so...I think that the ASP-C format, whether it be Canon, Pentax, Nikon or the others do a great job for 99.9 % of photographers, including me.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote