Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 13, 2011, 7:44 PM   #1

Default Is Pentax a safe choice vs. Canon?

Hello. I'm new here and new to dslr's. In fact, I've yet to buy one. But I have (after a ridiculous amount of researching) narrowed my options for my entry into dslr photography to the Pentax Kx or the Canon T1i. Many different things have gone into these two choices: price, the ability to buy a refurb Canon for a very good price, the fact that my first camera was a Pentax k1000 and I loved it, my father back in the 60's and 70's was a dedicated Pentax man, the generally favorable reviews of these two entry level cameras...lots of reasons. But it seems the camera world has changed a lot over the past decades. Back when I last bought a real camera, one could go to most any camera store and actually handle a Pentax, Canon, or whatever. I live in a reasonbly large town (70,000 or so) and all I can find are Canons and Nikons. That's one issue. But my real question is this: I had pretty much decided on the Kx, but when I looked at various galleries on the web it became pretty apparent that very, very few people use Pentax. It's a Canon/Nikon world. So, I'm thinking, might there be a very good reason for this. Maybe that's because Canon and Nikon make the best cameras. Pros use them as well as most photo enthusiasts, so all of those people can't be wrong, can they? And I would be a fool to just ignore what 90-95% (just guessing) are using...right? Therefore I should definitely go with the Canon T1i. I guess I'm really wanting to know what's happened since I bought my Pentax k1000 way back then and is buying an 'off' brand like that a smart idea. Can I buy accessories for Pentax or will I be consantly frustrated because companies only make stuff for Canon and Nikon.

I know this is long winded and I apologize, but if anyone out there is able to follow my drift, I'd love to hear some responses. Because I seriously think I'd like to buy that Pentax, but after looking recently at 18 months worth of pictures on one of the popular web galleries, I only saw 3 Pentax cameras were used and none of them was a Kx. Why is the camera world now so totally dominated by only two brands?
jimsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2011, 7:51 PM   #2

They are both very good camera, canon just is the dslr market leader in sales. And pentax for a while did not produce a dslr up to the level of canon or nikon. Over the last couple of years, pentax has really up their game starting with the k7, then the k-x, and not the k-5 and k-r.

I shoot a t1i and get to shoot a k-x allot. And they both match up well as a photography too. Each has their advantages. So it come down to what you like to shoot and what you want to add to your system.

Knowing that, it would make it easier to see which would be the best option.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 7:59 PM   #3

Here are some of the stuff I have shot with the k-x

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wi...birds-nyc.html

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...-sea-gull.html

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...canon-t1i.html

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...e-up-lens.html
Old Feb 13, 2011, 8:01 PM   #4

Also when pentax switch from the samsung sensor to the sony sensor starting with the k-x. It really improve the pentax line up in low light performance and image quality.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 8:33 PM   #5

Pentax does indeed have some great offerings in cameras and lenses. Canon & Nikon control about 75-80% of the DSLR market and have the most robust systems - from body offerings to lens offerings. And obviously a lot larger advertising budget - which is why so much advertising seems to be Canon or Nikon driven. But Pentax is still a high quality system. Unfortunately, Hoya (the company that now owns Pentax) has severly cut back on Pentax' retail market presence so you have to do much more internet shopping.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2011, 9:22 PM   #6

Wow, great pictures. If I could get pics like that with the Kx, I'd get one. What lens were you using? I still don't get why almost nobody uses Pentax (or anything else) out there in the world. but I think what you're saying is that Canon/Nikon were making constant improvements, and Pentax (for instance) was lagging behind and they eventually got left behind. Do you find that there are plenty of accessory options for Pentax (lenses, flashes, filters, and whatever else there is)? Not only numbers of options but price variety too?
Old Feb 13, 2011, 9:24 PM   #7

There are more and more lenses and accessory for pentax. But knowing what you like to shoot will determine which is the better system that will meet your needs best.

The lens with the kit lens 55-300 with the bird shots and macro. And the 18-55 with the low light comparison.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 9:27 PM   #8

What I tend to do is mostly pictures of kids, which with my crappy Olympus sp600uz are almost always blurry. I think I might like to get into portraits, but who knows. I take a lot of pictures on hikes and at family gatherings, both indoor and out.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 9:35 PM   #9

well for the indoor stuff a flash is something you will want. Though big aperture lens help when match with high iso. It still does not produce as good results as a flash.

But there is really not much that you have listed that the k-x or the T1i will do better. So it may come down to what your might want to add. Flash for pentax the pentax af360, metz 50, or sigma 610. Canon canon 430exii, metz 50, nissin di622, sigma 610.

Large aperture lens pentax FA50 1.4, canon ef 50 1.4 and ef 50 1.8.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 9:42 PM   #10

Oh, and indoors I usually want to take photos without flash, which is probably one reason they are usually blurry.