Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:26 AM   #1

Default Super zoom bridge camera or hybrid?

Hi there, planning on getting a camera next month and on doing research on the ones I am interested in I came across this forum and there seem to be a lot of people who know what they're talking about, so figured I'd join and ask for some advice.

I'm restricted to getting a camera from a retailer I work for in support as I got a hundred pounds worth of vouchers from them and also get a 10% discount. I haven't owned a proper camera in a few years, so can pretty much be classed as a beginner. I want to get into photography as I like landscape photography, and own a Mac and Aperture so I may as well make use of it lol.

My girlfriend already owns a Olympus compact, and my contract runs out on my phone in the summer so will probably getting whatever new release of the iPhone is available, so something that small enough to fit in my pocket isn't a consideration.

I've narrowed my choices down to 4 cameras. 2 bridge super zooms; The Panasonic FZ38 and FZ100 and 2 hybrid cameras; the Panasonic G10 and the Samsung NX10. I'm willing to add around 250 to the vouchers and they all fit into the price range my company is currently selling them for (FZ100 322, FZ38 198, G10 298 NX10 & 314.99 with discount).

So my needs are for something that'll do good landscape photos, I don't intend on doing any poster size prints, just viewing on the computer and max A4 prints. From looking at the photos from all 4 the G10 and NX10 look far better and sharper at full res, and I like the fact the NX10 has a APS-C sized CMOS sensor like they use on their entry DSLRs and does seem to give really clear pics. However really like the zoom options on the bridge cameras. Would the hybrids be a bit overkill for these needs and considering I'm a beginner?

Also like the idea of the super zooms as would give me enough versatility in lens size without having to carry multiple lens. I prefer some of the features of the FZ100 over the FZ38, such as 1080 video, the horse shoe ring for adding flash etc, and love the articulated LCD. For people who have used the 2 is the IQ significantly different to make the extra features not that worth while and to save some cash? Also are there any differences in quality between the CCD sensor on the 38 and the Live-MOS sensor (take it that's a CMOS?), on the 100.

I really like the FZ100 and have seen some awesome photos on here from LTZ40 using one, so at the moment that's what I'm hedging towards, but figured best to get some opinions first. I've seen a fair few people recommend the FZ40, however my place doesn't sell them so it's not an option.

Sorry if this post is a bit rambling, just want to make sure a camera I'll be happy with for a few years.
runebinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2011, 2:12 PM   #2

runebinder-

Personally, when making my choice, I looked at the Panasonic FZ35/38, the FZ40/45, and the FZ100. The Panasonic G10 is a good camera, but it is limited by (a) the 4/3'rds imager size, and (b) the inability to use numerically high ISO settings.

The Samsung NX10 has the largest (aps-C) imager, but an only average video out put. That may or may not be a factor for you. If I was making this choice for the long term, I would select the Samsung NX10 first, followed by the Panasonic FZ45.

The NX10 has a very good EVF and a dedicated hot shoe allowing the use of an external flash. No hot shoe on the FZ45, so you would have to use an external flash that has Slave Flash capabilities.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2011, 3:43 PM   #3

LTZ40 does very well with the FZ100 and the colors and speed out of the FZ100 are great. However, I find the FZ35(38) and FZ40(45) to do better for my needs (fine detail such as hair/fur).

I had all 3 of them and 2 other bridge cams and I opted to keep the FZ40. The FZ35 was slightly better in head-to-head IQ but I felt the small trade-off was worth it for the better reach, colors (imho) and handling (also imho) of the FZ40).
Old Feb 14, 2011, 4:24 PM   #4

Cheers for the replies.

Thanks for the input Sarah. Sounds like the G10 is out then. Been chatting to some friends about this and think a Bridge would be better for my needs than a hybrid atm, so think I'm ruling the NX10 out as well as I like the idea of having something that has all I need without having to get separate lenses.

As I mentioned in my first post the company I work for doesn't sell the FZ40/45 and passing up on a 100 worth of vouchers and 10% staff discount would be silly so that's not an option.

Looks like my options are narrowed down to the FZ38 and FZ100.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 5:57 PM   #5

runebinder-

As the case is that your company does not stock the FZ45, I would not hesitate to opt for the FZ35/38. Frankly, there are just too many problems with the FZ100, at least for me, to deal with the FZ100.

I have owned every FZ model since they were introduced with the FZ1, and I have tried and shot with the FZ100, as well as just about every other super zoom camera out there. If you read quite closely many of those photos posted by LTZ are from his FZ40, not the FZ100.

LTZ, a good friend of mine, has also experimented with other cameras such as the Canon SX30, and the Fuji HS10, and returned them. The return privilege is common in the USA, but not in the UK.

But we always come back to the Panasonic FZ series. Your kit is measurably larger and heavier with a DSLR or Hybrid camera, so crossing the NX10 camera is very understandable.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:27 AM   #6

Cheers Sarah, you've definitely given me some food for thought. The 38 would save me a fair chunk of cash. What's the video performance like on it? It's not my main priority but as I don't have a camcorder will be a useful feature.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 1:55 AM   #7

i love micro 4/3's cameras, but to get the same zoom as from the FZ38 and the FZ100, you'll need lenses, and chances are they can cost more than the camera. the NX10 would need lenses, and there aren't that many available. here's some pics from the FZ38 that might convince you...
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...-post-yay.html

and here's a youtube video i found of the fz38's video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVseeUwSu1Q
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2011, 1:45 PM   #8

Thanks Pcake, those pics are very nice. Particularly like the ones of the moon. Video performance looks decent to.

From reading up it sounds like you can get decent IQ on the FZ100 but you have to learn how to use it properly, which I don't mind as one of the reasons for getting one of these rather than a compact is for a steeper learning curve.

Looks like I've got my work cut out for me making a choice between the 2, but having seen what's been posted I doubt I'll be disappointed which ever way I choose.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 3:46 AM   #9

Well got my new camera, ended up getting the Lumix G2. Have only had a quick play with it, however very impressed with the image quality so far.