Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:12 AM   #1

Default Between these 2, Canon SX130 or Panasonic ZS5...

Been a long time 'lurker' or reader of this site over the years (back in my film SLR days), but never a poster. Well I'm in need now a p&s to carry along for trips to Disney, hikes and park with 3 kids. I've narrowed it down to the Canon SX130 and the Panasonic Zs5.

Any users care to offer their experience and advice?

Thanks in advance.
cfrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2011, 12:45 PM   #2

I would go for the ZS7 over the ZS5 as I think it is easily worth the small price difference. However, if you don't mind the size of the SX130, then that would be my choice between the 3, primarily b/c I am partial to Canon's out-of-camera JPEGs but also b/c I think ISO 800 on the SX130 is a bit better than ISO 800 on the ZS7.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 1:57 PM   #3

I agree 100% with Five-O.

The SX-130 would be top among the SX130, ZS5, and ZS7. However, you may also want to take a look at the Nikon S8100, which a few users have made their first choice.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2011, 8:58 PM   #4

Thank you both.
I handled and played with both today at BestBuy just to feel them in hand. I then stopped by a Costco on my way to work and found a Panasonic ZS6 for $159 + tax. I bought it.

I figured for that price I'll play with that this weekend and if it doesn't work out for me, back to Costco with it.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 1:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrock View Post
Thank you both.
I handled and played with both today at BestBuy just to feel them in hand. I then stopped by a Costco on my way to work and found a Panasonic ZS6 for $159 + tax. I bought it.

I figured for that price I'll play with that this weekend and if it doesn't work out for me, back to Costco with it.
If you shoot mostly outdoors (or even indoor in small rooms like I do where 10 ft of flash is enough) and shoot at ISO 400 or below and I think you'll be happy with it. It's a good cam.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Thank you both.

I was about to suggest the ZS6 from Costco. It has a higher res LCD than the ZS5.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2011, 3:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I was about to suggest the ZS6 from Costco. It has a higher res LCD than the ZS5.
Thanks.
I presume you have a ZS6, any comments? How do you like it so far. I have not had anytime to play with it yet.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 5:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks.
I presume you have a ZS6, any comments? How do you like it so far. I have not had anytime to play with it yet.
I've got the ZS7 which shares virtually all of the same hardware as the ZS6 (and adds some). I've been happy with it.

Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:52 PM   #9

Great pics FiveO! Your examples are very nice.
Thanks!