Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 21, 2011, 7:49 AM   #11

thanks a lot for the update guys... really appreciate....

@corkpix..
yes i will gradually upgrade to dslr.. and they definitely do have an advantage over the p&s in terms of IQ.. i did considered the d3100 and d500o with basic 55mm lens.
also thought bout canon but canon basic models do not come with IS in india so dropped canon.. whats your take on d3100.

@ fiveO : thanks for the help.. yes i had to keep last sx30 for the same reason of
CA.. also fz-100 was almost finalized.. i have yet to get a hands on fz-40.. i have been checking out and have got very good reviews for the same. i will try to wait for next 15-20 days till the hs-20 is out and see the sample pics and critics.. in terms of
IQ fz-40 is definitely better on fz-100 however for the extra feature and lil less IQ i considered the FZ-100.

@ robbo.. thanks robbo.. one more question is as you updated early for the release dates of PANA lumix camera.. any thing rumoured for this year.. coz i wont mind getting a good cam if i have to wait another 2 months...

and i do not have a big pocket however still pricing not an issue even if it goes say a 80-100 $ more than 500.. $$

thanks again guys.. i will keep checkin the updates and will ask my stupid question again..
theironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 7:50 AM   #12

also another ques.. just like other forums.. do we have anything where in i can click to thank for the post ????
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by theironhorse View Post
also another ques.. just like other forums.. do we have anything where in i can click to thank for the post ????
Nope.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 9:59 AM   #14

I'm also in the same boat.. leaning towards fz100.. also still considering the fuji hs20..

I've read that with manual settings and iso of around 100 you can get very good results with the fz100..

I'm hoping the fz100 is at least as good as the tl-350 samsung i had, for low light..?

low light, especially in video is important to me.

As long as the quality in all lighting beats out the tl-350, i'd be happy, as i'm after that superzoom and advanced features.

Has anyone confirmed you can record video in the USA longer than 30 minutes? (i read that with the fz100 you can, but unsure on the hs20)..

Which is better for taking pics of fast moving kids? Assuming the fz100..

These two seem to be the two best options out there right now, unless there is a 3rd (with at least 1920x1080 video ability and 24x or longer zoom with lens addon ability).
markm75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2011, 10:10 PM   #15

I purchased the FZ-100 and was dissapointed with the image quality in anything but high light (HD movie mode was great and the 100 is extremenly fast). I returned the FZ-100 for the older FZ-35. I like the IQ of the 35 better, but the 100 has many more features. Personally I was somewhat dissapointed with both panasonic cameras as they both have very good reviews. I would personally wait for a better camera to come along if you dont want a dslr especially at the price of the FZ-100. Just my opinion.
dwbs25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 2:03 PM   #16

[QUOTE=dwbs25;1213943]I purchased the FZ-100 and was dissapointed with the image quality in anything but high light the FZ-100.QUOTE]

disappointed with image quality in HIGH LIGHT ( u mean day time) with a fz100..

fz100 is an excellent performer in day time and till iso 100 however
fz40 tops it in terms of low light shooting mode...

and fz-40 have got amazing pic quality.. you can compare p&S with a dslr..

every thing will have its own pros and cons..

to get a zoom lens equal of fz-40 in dslr ... god knows how big hole will be burnt in pocket.. again its my personal feel after using fz-40 for quite few days..
Old Mar 31, 2011, 5:31 PM   #17

theironhorse, I said dissapointed in IQ in anything "but" high light (yes day light). It took great pics in areas with high light and not so much in lower light situation. However there are many people who love the FZ-100 in every situation, it just wasnt for me. Compairing pics side by side the FZ-35 has slightly better IQ to my eye then the 100 and its almost half the price. Ive never used the FZ-40, but it has great reviews as well.

Markm75, about video on the FZ-100. This is where the camera shined. Its HD video in 1080 is amazing and in stereo sound. It was better then my digital video camera. I purchased the FZ-100 for taking stills though and that is why I traded it for the FZ-35. If video is a priority get the 100, if IQ is the priority look elsewhere. Again just my opinion and experience with the camera.

Last edited by dwbs25; Mar 31, 2011 at 5:36 PM.
dwbs25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2011, 10:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm75 View Post
I'm hoping the fz100 is at least as good as the tl-350 samsung i had, for low light..?

low light, especially in video is important to me.
You only need to look as far as the specs (pinhead sensor + not-so-bright lens) to see that the FZ00 will do poorly in low light.

[QUOTE=theironhorse;1214064]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwbs25 View Post
and fz-40 have got amazing pic quality.. you can compare p&S with a dslr..
I am quite satisfied with my FZ40, but neither the FZ40 nor any other P&S cam in existence has image quality anywhere near a dSLR. Perhaps with a 4x6 or 5x7 print, there may be little difference at low ISO, but beyond that there differences in IQ and low light performance are both significant.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:14 AM   #19

I'm undecided between HS20EXR and FZ100. I used Kodak z710, Lumix FZ8 and now using S6500FD by Fuji. You can see my photography with it here - flickr.com/keremgo

I was certain to go with HS20EXR though and also get a Fujifilm X100 as a pro camera. Photography is like a hobby to me. And interchangeable lens thing is not for me. And I'm after very good still image quality with affordable price.

That review video is enlightening also -> http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews...exr/11934.html
Kerem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:15 PM   #20

x200 and x300 on the way and dxo mark testing the x100 tops many dslr...