Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 14, 2011, 12:42 PM   #1

Default newbie stuck between fz-100 vs hs20

hi,

always been a photography enthusiast.. biker and hifi head..

now its time when i have decided to take my hobby come real and lay my
hands over a good camera..

i have been reviweing many cameras and this forum for many months and
now torn between choices to go for fz-100 or wait for hs20..

i also considered entry level dslr.. nikon 3100.. however i want to move to
that level probably in 2014.. till than want to use a superzoom p&s to its capacity.

HI FROM INDIA.....and hats off to this wonderful forum. i am an active member of many audio video forum as i stated my interest.. this is the first time for a photography forum . looking forward for a stronger bond in the coming time..

plz suggest... price not much an issue however still looking something say 500$ or less..
theironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2011, 2:32 AM   #2

I haven't seen any samples from the HS20 even but historically, Panasonic keeps putting out better bridge cams than Fuji. I have the FZ40 and am happy with it, but it's a different type of camera than you are looking at (CCD sensor vs CMOS and all the related pros and cons.).
Old Feb 15, 2011, 6:17 AM   #3

but both the fz-100 and hs-20 arewith cmos ane is apc-cmos.. other is exr...

but i am not sure if the exr cmos that is crammed with 16mp will do anty justice on hs20..

however its like 14mp on fz100

also true resolution of fz-100 comes to 9.8 and for hs-20 will come to 10.6-10.8.. i guess...

also another doubt is that i came to knew that the manual focus ring works with a wire and it is not mechanical it just adjusts through a wire and digital setup..

if thats the case and then whats the point of having manual focus...

however hs-20 still tops my list followed by fz-100 and then hs-10 and then sx30is..

plz advise..
Old Feb 15, 2011, 2:10 PM   #4

any updates guys ????
Old Feb 15, 2011, 2:35 PM   #5

The FZ35 was announced in late July of 2009. The FZ40 was announced in late July of 2010. It seems possible that the next FZ could be announced in late July of this year.

My brother has the FZ40 and likes it a lot. I had the FZ28 and found it extremely easy to use in a variety of settings. I would be interested in the Fuji HS20 because of its EXR (extrended range) capabilities. With previous EXR Fujis, you can get better low light performance and more extended dyanamic range by halving the resolution. Thus, a 16 megapixel EXR camera would have these enhanced capabilities in 8 megapixel settings. If I could get usable ISO 1600 shots at 8 megapixels, I would be very happy.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2011, 7:50 AM   #6

thanks for the update... well then following the chain.. i should wait for july to see the fz series.. coz i have waited quite long.. but if i can get a 2011 lumix fz-xx i dont mind.. m sure it will make the hs-20 shy..
Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:09 AM   #7

guess no one liked the title of my thread.......
Old Feb 17, 2011, 4:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by theironhorse View Post
plz suggest... price not much an issue however still looking something say 500$ or less..
Panasonic, Fujifilm and Canon make excellent bridge cameras.
If you really want a bridge/superzoom camera, the ones you are
considering are probably best-in-class.

There are two obvious problems with this type of camera.

1. They are almost as big as a DSLR

2. They are almost as expensive as a DSLR. In the case of the FZ100,
about the same as an entry level DSLR.

As you seem to be very interested in photography , you have
great enthusiasm and you have already suggested that you will
upgrade to a DSLR, maybe you should skip the superzoom and
invest that $500 in a DSLR. A basic kit lens won't have the same
range as a superzoom, but you will have the option to buy more
lenses later.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by theironhorse View Post
but both the fz-100 and hs-20 arewith cmos ane is apc-cmos.. other is exr...

but i am not sure if the exr cmos that is crammed with 16mp will do anty justice on hs20..

however its like 14mp on fz100

also true resolution of fz-100 comes to 9.8 and for hs-20 will come to 10.6-10.8.. i guess...

also another doubt is that i came to knew that the manual focus ring works with a wire and it is not mechanical it just adjusts through a wire and digital setup..

if thats the case and then whats the point of having manual focus...

however hs-20 still tops my list followed by fz-100 and then hs-10 and then sx30is..

plz advise..

Well the HS20 isn't even out yet so there's really no telling how good it will be. It will be months likely before there are even sufficient reviews on it. The HS10 has some dedicated fans but when rated objectively, it consistently ranks below the offerings from Panasonic and Canon. The FZ100 has been out for some time now and there are plenty of reviews and image samples to help you decide.

I'm not sure how the SX30 made it onto your list. The SX30 uses a CCD sensor which generally provides less noise and slightly sharper images than an equally sized CMOS sensor. It does so, however, at the cost of speed, evident in the lack of fast burst modes and Full HD video. My point is simply that CCD and CMOS cameras each have their owns pros and cons.

None of these cameras are going to be "better" than another but each one may be better suited to a particular need or taste. I returned the SX30 due in part to the very heavy CA. I wasn't crazy about the way it handled either. I returned the FZ100 because I wasn't satisfied with its handling of fine details such as fur/hair. I didn't even consider the HS10 because of the IQ and overall design. In the end I went for the FZ40 and am content that I made the right choice for me.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 7:38 PM   #10

I agree with FiveO on why there haven't been more responses to your posts. It's too early. I haven't seen any reviews or even sample images from the HZ20. The sensor in the HZ20 is a different type than that used in the HZ10, so it's hard for owners of the HZ10 to predict exactly how the images of the HZ20 will look. If you ask the same question in a month or two, you will get more responses and more informed responses.
I like superzooms more than DSLR's, I think, though I have one of each. Yes, a DSLR with a good lens will outshine a superzoom in image quality. However, I am not usually looking for magazine cover quality. I just want a decent shot. Also, although there are some pretty big superzooms out there, some, like the Panasonic FZ35, are much smaller and lighter and easier to carry around than a DSLR with a big zoom lens.
For me, I would suggest to camera newbies/novices to try a superzoom before trying a DSLR. There are lots of chances to learn with such a camera. Then, when they know what they want that a superzoom can't do, they can take the plunge for a DSLR and assorted lenses.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote