Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 23, 2011, 6:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
... So youíre suggesting that the D3100 will be fine for my needs?
I'm saying that, if the D3100 can do everything you envision, go for it, especially since you seem predisposed to do so. But remember that it doesn't have its own AF motor, so the lenses you want should have their own.

One of the better lenses for shooting "landscape / scenery picutures", that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, is the Tokina 12-24mm f/4, but it doesn't have its own AF motor, so it won't AF on the D3100.

So maybe the D3100 isn't such a good choice, after all.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 9:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I'm saying that, if the D3100 can do everything you envision, go for it, especially since you seem predisposed to do so.

One of the better lenses for shooting "landscape / scenery picutures", that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, is the Tokina 12-24mm f/4, but it doesn't have its own AF motor, so it won't AF on the D3100.

So maybe the D3100 isn't such a good choice, after all.
TCay.I just checked the price on this Tokina 12-24mm f/4 and it's $400, I don't want to imagine how much a similar AF lens would be.

Also, I'm still reading reviews, so thanks for your help. I'll probably end up getting the D3100 as you mentioned. I'll post more questions here when they come up or inform you of my purchase decison.

Thanks again!
Kill@B3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 1:58 AM   #13

When you're buying a dSLR, you're buying the foundation of a system. If you have specific requirements for that system, you need to know that the foundation can support those requirements, and then that it can support those requirements at a reasonable price.

The Tokina 12-24/4 is cheaper, and (more important) better, than the alternatives from Sigma and Tamron, but it won't AF on the D3100. And it's a lot cheaper, and at least as good as the alternatives from Nikon that will AF on the D3100. For me, that would rule out the D3100 (but I don't shoot "landscape / scenery picutures".)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 8:49 AM   #14

Quote:
When you're buying a dSLR, you're buying the foundation of a system. If you have specific requirements for that system, you need to know that the foundation can support those requirements, and then that it can support those requirements at a reasonable price.

The Tokina 12-24/4 is cheaper, and (more important) better, than the alternatives from Sigma and Tamron, but it won't AF on the D3100. And it's a lot cheaper, and at least as good as the alternatives from Nikon that will AF on the D3100. For me, that would rule out the D3100 (but I don't shoot "landscape / scenery picutures".)
Hello TCav, Good morning,

First of all, let me back up a bit. I'm saying that I'd like to one day shoot "landscapes / scenery pictures" but honestly, I don't know what you'd describe as "landscape / scenery pictures" in the first place. So I'm wrong for saying that I want to take these pictures one day. A better way to say this may be "that I would like to learn" to take pictures like these one day.

Next, What kind of camera do I need to purchase to provide the foundation to have the ability to purchase lens' such as the Tokina 12-24/4 that will allow me to take landscape pictures if I decide to do so one day? Or in general, what type of cameras support lens' that do not AF? Do lens' like these that do not AF require cameras like the Sony A series that AF in the body of the camera?

As always, thanks for educating me,
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:08 AM   #15

For nikon, you have to look at a d90 and above. Canon, any one of them will be supported. Sony I would look at the A550 and up.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:54 AM   #16

Thank you all for your help.

I think I've just about made my decision. I think I'll go with the D3100, with the kit lens 18-55mm lens, plus 55-200mm lens, memory card and case all for about $800.

I think this will fit my needs very well. I am not going to worry about taking "scenic / landscape" shots for the time being. I live in the Dallas Metro area, what am I going to take "scenic" pictures of in the immediate? LOL

I just want to be able to take some nice portraits of my son for the immadiate future and visually document his growth.

Please let me know if you think this is the right choice for the time being.

Thanks again!!!
Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:30 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
The lastest DX II verson of this lens for Nikon cameras has a built in motor. So, it will Autofocus on a camera like the D3100.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._AT_X_124.html

Another popular budget choice in an ultra wide zoom for cameras with an APS-C size sensor is the Tamron SP AF 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 Di II. It also has a built in motor and will Autofocus on Nikon models that don't have a camera based focus motor like the D3100

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...10_24mm_f.html

But, frankly, for most landscape type shots I'd take, these lenses are just too wide. So, I wouldn't assume you need an ultra wide lens until taking lots of photos using a typical 18-55mm kit lens to see if you're running into any limitations with it for the types of subjects you take photos of more often.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 1:10 PM   #18

Default D3100 - Ready to buy - Let me know if you agree.

Thanks for all of the replies!!!

I think Iíve made a decision. As TCav mentioned yesterday, Iím pretty much set on the D3100 and I think Iíll pull the trigger today.

A couple questions about the D3100.

A friend who owns a Nikon D40?? suggested skipping out on the 18-55mm and 55-200mm lensí and just getting a 18-200mm lens so that I donít have to swap out lensí. Do you agree? Or should I just get both since the 18-55 is apart of the kit price?

The 18-200mm lens for $200 or so, is that correct?

So for $700 / $750 (kit price + 55-200mm) I would have my camera and lens, then Iíd need a good memory card, I was thinking a Class 10 Transcend 32GB card ($55 on Amazon) and would also need a nice case ($50 Iím guessing Ė how do you know if the case will be large enough for the camera and accessories, do you have any case suggestions?) and maybe another battery?

So all in all, Iím looking at something like $800+ for everything.

Sorry if I am being too specific on everything. Again thank you all for your help and let me know if you think this would be a good purchase for a beginner like me.

Thanks again!!!
Old Feb 24, 2011, 2:08 PM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
The 18-200mm lens for $200 or so, is that correct?
More like $749 right now (lens only, no camera body).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._18_200mm.html

But, you'd probably get better image quality with the 18-55mm/55-200mm combo versus a single 18-200mm lens.

Convenience is the main reason you'd want a lens like the Nikkor 18-200mm (but, you'd get better image quality using lenses with a less ambitious focal range from wide to long, swapping lenses as needed to cover that focal range).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:18 AM   #20

Quote:
Iíd need a good memory card, I was thinking a Class 10 Transcend 32GB card ($55 on Amazon)
Instead of getting one large capacity card, get multiple less capacity cards. I'd buy 4 of 8GB Transcend Class 10 cards so that if one fails, I can use other cards.
My blog - http://www.ronakg.com
ronakg is offline   Reply With Quote