Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:34 AM   #21

I have used both the Nikon 18-200mm and the Nikon 18-55mm and Nikon 55-200mm lenses. In my opinion, you will get better image quality with larger overall apertures with the 18-55mm and 55-200mm combo.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2011, 11:20 AM   #22

Default Proud new D3100 Owner!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
I have used both the Nikon 18-200mm and the Nikon 18-55mm and Nikon 55-200mm lenses. In my opinion, you will get better image quality with larger overall apertures with the 18-55mm and 55-200mm combo.

Sarah Joyce
Good Morning everyone,

Thank you all for all your help and education. I finally pulled the trigger on the D3100 with 18-55 kit, also picked up the 55-200mm lens along with a 16 GB class 10 memory card. Amazon was having a nice sale last week so I was able to get everything for under $700. I think I got a pretty good deal. I'm also glad that I bought both 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses separately as several of you mentioned earlier.

I received the camera yesterday evening, but didnít have time to ďplayĒ around with it but did get the battery charged so hopefully I can ďplayĒ with it this evening.

Iím sure that the D3100 will be great for my needs, I canít wait to start using it. Again, thank you all for all your advice and suggestions.

I have a few more question:

How is Nikonís warranty on their products? Should I purchase an extended warranty for the camera and lens? Squaretrade is offering a 3 year warranty (including accidentally drops / spills) for $80 for 3 years (w/ coupon). What is your opinion on extended warranties? I have a couple of other ST policies for other electronic devices, but havenít had any claims yet. My gut thought is to pass on the warranty, I take care of all of my stuff so I should be okay without it.

What kind / brand of case do you all prefer? My friend recommended the Lowpro Slingshot 202 AW ($70). I would like a case that is large enough for carry the camera, a couple of lenses, flash, extra battery, etc. Any other suggestions on cases?

What advice do you "pros" have for someone like me who has never used or taken a picture with a DSLR camera. Do you have websites that you recommend that I check out? Are there techniques that I should get in the habit of using from the start so that I'm don't get in bad habits? I know I'll have more questions along the way and thatís what these forum are for.

Thanks again to everyone that replied and helped me make my decision.
Kill@B3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2011, 1:29 PM   #23

i will buy this one
Be11a is offline   Reply With Quote