Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKSMWR View Post
This has been very helpful! Just so I'm clear here, from what I have read in various reviews and forums and from what I am getting from your responses... any Oly or Panasonic lens (4/3 that is) will fit on either brand's version of the 4/3 camera with no adapter and provide full functionality? So they are completely interchangeable?

Nex 5 lenses are the typical DSLR size due to the larger sensor requiring coverage, correct? So smaller body, but normal lenses?

no the nex lenses are smaller too heres a crappy pic of my nex-5 with the 18-55mm lens on it its a lot smaller than full size 18-55 lemses

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...exinmyhand.jpg
bryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 5:53 AM   #12

Quote:
This has been very helpful! Just so I'm clear here, from what I have read in various reviews and forums and from what I am getting from your responses... any Oly or Panasonic lens (4/3 that is) will fit on either brand's version of the 4/3 camera with no adapter and provide full functionality? So they are completely interchangeable?
Yes. The only difference is that Olympus uses sensor shift image stabilization in the body, while Panasonic uses optical image stabilization in the lenses. So if you mount Olympus lenses on a Panasonic camera, you wouldn't have any image stabilization.

Quote:
Nex 5 lenses are the typical DSLR size due to the larger sensor requiring coverage, correct? So smaller body, but normal lenses?
Yes, but to be clear, Sony's A-mount (Alpha) lenses won't mount on a NEX body (E-Mount) without a $200 adapter.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 7:06 AM   #13

Quote:

Yes, you are SOMEWHAT correct. HOWEVER, there is the 4/3 standard that both Olympus and Panasonic have made cameras for in the past and now Olympus continues to produce in the way of the E-5.

Both Panasonic and Olympus have turned their research and development and design teams towards making and refining their mirrorless cameras which employ the same 4/3 sensor however, without the mirror, and the pentaprism, have been able to pack everything into a substantially smaller body. This camera design is called: "micro4/3"

Thus the cameras in discussion here are the micro4/3 cameras. The lenses and camera bodies are substantially smaller.

As an example the Olympus 14-150mm micro4/3 lens weighs less than 10oz.
when closed, it is 2.5 x 3.3" inches. In 35mm terms this lens will give you an effective focal range of 28-300mm.

Not to make this anymore complicated, ALL lensed made for the larger 4/3 camera bodies can be used on the micro4/3 cameras by way of an adapter which costs around 200USD.

Here is an image of my micro4/3 E-PL1 camera with a fullsize 4/3 12-60mmlens attached by way of adapter and a micro4/3 9-18mm lens sitting in front. It will give you an idea of just how much smaller the lenses actually are.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 9:40 AM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Only four are coming this year: the Zeiss 24mm, and the Sony 30mm, 50mm, and 55-200. The other three, including the 'G', are coming in 2012. Also, there's no word on which are stabilized and which aren't.
The NEX models are hot sellers right now. So, it shouldn't take too long before we start seeing some third party lenses designed for it, too. For example, Sigma just announced they're going to make lenses in Sony E mount (as well as for Micro 4/3).

It looks like a 30mm f/2.8 is going to be the first one they manufacturer.

http://thealphafactor.wordpress.com/...m-2-8-for-nex/

That should make a pretty good little package (NEX-3 or NEX-5 with that lens on it), depending on what you want to shoot.

That would be appealing to me, since it's small enough not to draw a lot of attention for taking photos of live music in restaurants and clubs, street photography, existing light photography of family gatherings, etc.; and the NEX models have very good high ISO performance.

The Sony 16mm f/2.8 Pancake is interesting. But, I think a 30mm lens like that Sigma (giving you the same angle of view you'd have with a 45mm lens on a 35mm camera) would make a better general purpose lens.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:10 AM   #15

Quote:
The Sony 16mm f/2.8 Pancake is interesting. But, I think a 30mm lens like that Sigma (giving you the same angle of view you'd have with a 45mm lens on a 35mm camera) would make a better general purpose lens.
I'm not even sure it's interesting. It's kind of an odd choice as a kit lens, and I suspect it has disappointed a few people who picked it up as it is the cheapest kit available. For a camera squarely aimed at p&s shooters moving up I think a more "normal" lens would have made a better choice at launch (ie a 30mm). 16mm is really a landscape type lens, certainly not an ideal portrait length. I really hope some lenses come out soon, as I'm drawn towards this camera after handling it. Yes it is menu driven, but the menu's are so much more intuitive than Oly's, and as long as you're not changing more than a couple settings, you can make changes on the NEX pretty quickly. The only other downer about it is it's slow startup time.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:49 PM   #16

yes, all olympus and panasonic micro 4/3 lenses are compatible with both brands of camera. please note that we're not talking about regular 4/3 lenses but micro 4/3 lenses.

no, nex lenses are not typical dslr lenses - they're smaller, as are the micro 4/3 lenses. smaller body, smaller lenses.

Quote:

pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 1:17 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjseeney View Post
I really hope some lenses come out soon, as I'm drawn towards this camera after handling it.
Apparently, the NEX models are selling quite well from some of the reports I've seen, even though only a few Autofocus Lenses are available for it (unless you wanted to use an adapter with Sony SSM or SAM lenses, which would make for a larger and heavier kit).

Sony's decision to release the specs for the lens mount versus charging a licensing fee is also interesting. So, that should help to encourage the development of more third party lenses over time.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/news/...ses_specs.html

http://thealphafactor.wordpress.com/...ex-lens-mount/
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 1:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Apparently, the NEX models are selling quite well from some of the reports I've seen, even though only a few Autofocus Lenses are available for it (unless you wanted to use an adapter with Sony SSM or SAM lenses, which would make for a larger and heavier kit).

Sony's decision to release the specs for the lens mount versus charging a licensing fee is also interesting. So, that should help to encourage the development of more third party lenses over time.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/news/...ses_specs.html

http://thealphafactor.wordpress.com/2011/02/08/nex-lens-mount
/

It is encouraging, and reports I've seen from early adapters have been very good. I never really gave the NEX much thought, as I was put off by the many handling complaints. I finally got to play with it last week side by side with an EP-L1, and I definitely like the NEX's handling better than the Oly. Oly's terminology and menu system is just not good...it's why I got rid of the E-500, and it hasn't improved any with the Pen's.

I don't need many lenses...I need a tele (a 55-200...an NEX is much easier to sneak into events, and throw into my briefcase than even my D5000) and even though I'm not a fan of Primes, a 35 fast prime would be compelling especially considering the size. I'm just about settled on it, and will likely pull the trigger soon.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 2:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjseeney View Post
It is encouraging, and reports I've seen from early adapters have been very good. I never really gave the NEX much thought, as I was put off by the many handling complaints. I finally got to play with it last week side by side with an EP-L1, and I definitely like the NEX's handling better than the Oly. Oly's terminology and menu system is just not good...it's why I got rid of the E-500, and it hasn't improved any with the Pen's.

Not trying to start an argument but:
I'll be the first to say that how comfortable the camera feels in the hand and how easy it is to wade through the user interface goes a long way towards a users' enjoyment of the camera. Obviously, if you're not comfortable, you're certainly not going to be happy.

I've been a long time user of Olympus cameras and find their menu system very easy to understand. Matter of fact, most of the time, I can make all my settings without going past the control panel. It's all in what you're used to and familiar with.

As an example, I often go with a buddy of mine on photo shoots. He's got a Nikon D90 while I use the Olympus E-30. I love his camera and the auto focus system. I hate the user interface. Does it make it bad? No, absolutely not. Just what your used to.

One of the biggest features, I think the Pens have is the ability to have a user turn the camera on, put it in Auto mode and fire away. Unless you're shooting in unusually low light conditions, the out of camera jpegs need little, if any post processing. The white balance and the metering is that good.

I think if you're used to a dslr and like the ability to control all the settings,etc. then no doubt user interface is critical.

If you want a camera that takes good photos straight out of the box, without fiddling, the Pens should be on your list of cameras to try out.
Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 6:33 PM   #20

Zig,

I'm with you. There is a lot to like about Olympus...IQ is very good, at least on par if not better than the NEX. I was always happy with the images I got from the E-500...I just never got comfortable with the menu/control system. I use Nikons as my primary cams, so it is kinda like learning a new language. I want to like the Oly...it arguably has a better feature set, and certainly more lenses to choose from. I for some reason just can't pick it up and use it. I'd really like to be able to get a hold of an EP-L2 to see if the control scheme has improved.