Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 21, 2011, 3:29 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4
Default Nikon D3000, Canon EOS 500d, Pentax KX or Panasonic G10

I'm off on a trip to India shortly. Am looking to get something better than my standard point and shoot as I am expecting this to be such a photogenic country.

Where I am from (NZ) all the cameras above are about the same cost for a twin lens kit.

G10 - $999
KX - $1299
500D - $1299 (1000D - $995)
D3000 - $1120

So the $6m question is which one to get ? I originally liked the G10 as its smaller due to the 4/3 system but I was told in a shop today the picture quality is significantly less than a full size DSLR. Any thoughts ?

Thanks in advance

Also interestingly the bloke in the shop said don't bother with a twin kit, just have the 18-55 lens as he reckons he never used his zoom lens on his travels - odd I thought as we often want to photo things from afar...
globe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2011, 9:27 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

Thanks for your interesting post, Globe-

My husband and i have traveled extensively and I personally feel that having a telephoto capability is an important element of travel photos. So, at least for me, a low zoom 18-55mm lens would surely not cover my photo needs.

Secondly, if image quality is high on your priority list, then a camera with a physically larger imager is capable of producing better image quality on a consistent basis. Than could cause a shift if your camera purchasing pattern.

The third element in any choice is the physical size consideration. We see many, many requests for information on pocket size and compact cameras. Yes, a smaller camera is more convenient to carry, and in some photo situations, a smaller camera can be less conspicuous in a crowd of people. I often carry a small pocket camera myself. But my small pocket camera is a companion to my DSLR camera. There are indeed times when you have a very short span of time to get that unique photo. That is when I use my pocket camera. Likewise, a formal event, for example, might be better covered with a less intrusive pocket camera. However, my pocket camera is not a replacement for my DSLR camera, as it just will not produce similar high quality images.

Finally we have the cost issue. If budget is a priority, then the Canon XS/1000D, a good entry level DSLR camera is the lowest cost camera on your list. As a second lens for the Canon XS/1000D, I would suggest the Canon 55-250mm IS lens.

So, at least for me, choosing from your list, I would select the Canon XS, as the camera with the least cost, and the ability to produce measurably high image quality.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:58 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 58
Default

I can't comment on the other cameras in your list of options, but I bought a Pentax k-x a couple weeks ago, and I'm extremely happy with it. It has a lot of features for the money, it's been easy to use (I'm a beginner) and I've been very pleased with the images. Even though I've had the camera for a very short time, I've used both lenses quite a bit. And from what I understand, you save quite a bit by buying the extra lens as part of a kit, so it makes sense to get two lenses for the initial purchase. One thing that I've really enjoyed about my k-x is that it's got a lot of digital filters built right into the camera, so you can do a lot of very interesting things to your photos when they're still in the camera. There is a you tube video by Pentax that gives about a 5 minute overview of the k-x and what it can do. You might want to check it out as you do your comparisons.

Again, I can't really comment on how the k-x compares to the other cameras you listed, performance-wise, but for me it has been a great camera.

Good luck and have a great trip!
acscoggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:06 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acscoggins View Post
I can't comment on the other cameras in your list of options, but I bought a Pentax k-x a couple weeks ago, and I'm extremely happy with it. It has a lot of features for the money, it's been easy to use (I'm a beginner) and I've been very pleased with the images. Even though I've had the camera for a very short time, I've used both lenses quite a bit. And from what I understand, you save quite a bit by buying the extra lens as part of a kit, so it makes sense to get two lenses for the initial purchase. One thing that I've really enjoyed about my k-x is that it's got a lot of digital filters built right into the camera, so you can do a lot of very interesting things to your photos when they're still in the camera. There is a you tube video by Pentax that gives about a 5 minute overview of the k-x and what it can do. You might want to check it out as you do your comparisons.

Again, I can't really comment on how the k-x compares to the other cameras you listed, performance-wise, but for me it has been a great camera.

Good luck and have a great trip!

i agree with this, the Pentax with the 18-55mm + 55-200mm lens kit is good choice, costing as little as 500-600 (not sure how much it is in NZ )

It also has the lest high ISO noise out of all the cameras you mentioned, and the 1000D lacks video (if that matters).

Of course, you could buy a Pentax K-x Body only, and then buy a superzoom lens, like a tamron 18-200mm, or sigma 18-200mm, which cost about 150-200 in the UK. this will be better because you wont have to keep changing lenses.

Theres also the Pentax K-r, which it like the K-x but has faster AF, higher res screen (921k vs 230k) bigger screen (3in vs 2.7in), quieter AF, Focus points in viewfinder, and the choice of AA and rechargeable lithium battery (AA requires battery holder which is like 20-ish)

overall i would get the k-x with a 18-200mm, best bang for buck.
Lumix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:57 PM   #5
Member
 
ronakg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bangalore, India
Posts: 44
Default

I'm in the same boat as acscoggins. Bought a Pentax K-x with 18-55 and 55-300 lenses two weeks ago. This kit is best bang for the buck in your list. A zoom that covers at least 200mm is a must IMO for travel. I'd highly recommend the 55-300mm lens against the 50-200mm lens from Pentax.

If you want to see some examples, check my some of my threads here. Hope this helps.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ph...entax-k-x.html

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wi...5-day-zoo.html

Go through my flickr gallery (URL posted in signature) if you want to see more images.
__________________
Pentax K-x | Canon S3 IS
DA L 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL | DA L 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED | Raynox DCR-250
flickr
My blog - http://www.ronakg.com

Last edited by ronakg; Feb 21, 2011 at 11:00 PM.
ronakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2011, 3:30 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4
Default

I've had a look round the shops today and seen the d3100 and d5000 are a simialr price also

d3100 twin lens kit - $1230
d5000 twin lens kit - $1195

Any thoughts on these two thrown into the mix.

On testing the Nikon vs the Pentax today the Nikon felt alot nicer to use for me and the colours seemed alot closer to reality - the bloke in the shop said he moved to Nikon for that very reason.

Any thoughts ? Once again thanks in advance
globe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2011, 7:47 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
rjseeney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Taylor Mill, Kentucky
Posts: 2,398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by globe View Post
I've had a look round the shops today and seen the d3100 and d5000 are a simialr price also

d3100 twin lens kit - $1230
d5000 twin lens kit - $1195

Any thoughts on these two thrown into the mix.

On testing the Nikon vs the Pentax today the Nikon felt alot nicer to use for me and the colours seemed alot closer to reality - the bloke in the shop said he moved to Nikon for that very reason.

Any thoughts ? Once again thanks in advance
The D5k would be my choice. I have one as my second body (with a D300). It has some advanced features and the articulating screen, though limited, is nice to have. It is small, and lightweight...just a nice kit. You're really getting less for your money by purchasing the D3100 in terms of feature set. It is newer, so IQ may be a touch better.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2011, 1:15 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjseeney View Post
The D5k would be my choice. I have one as my second body (with a D300). It has some advanced features and the articulating screen, though limited, is nice to have. It is small, and lightweight...just a nice kit. You're really getting less for your money by purchasing the D3100 in terms of feature set. It is newer, so IQ may be a touch better.
Interesting comments there. I read on a number of forums back mid last year that many people were buying D5000's then returning them to swap for a D3100 as they were just coming out.
globe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 9:37 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

Globe-

Like any of the D-series at Nikon, the D5000 has a somewhat limited selection of lenses, but as long as enhanced video is not on your requirements list, like rjseeny, I see the D5000 as an excellent choice that will save you some cash.

The D5000 borrows heavily from the D-90 model and those D90 features make the D5000 measurably better.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:30 PM.