Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 22, 2011, 8:59 AM   #1

Default Looking to replace stolen camera

My camera got lifted from my van and i need to replace it. I had a Canon digital I purchased to shoot macro pics for my business. I was not satisfied with that cameras ability to focus in it's macro mode even though it was supposed to have a manual focusing mode it was very temperamental.

I was an Olympus fan for many years owning several SLR's and had a dark room and so forth. I am looking for a camera to take very good Macro shots to develop my web site. I also spend a lot of time in the woods and have done a lot of outdoor photography as well as the usual family candid shots. So I am looking for a camera with a good digital zoom with macro ability and also video capability. I'm thinking about 12-14 mega pixel.

I'm not interested in DSLR's at this point mostly for $ considerations.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would consider Nikon or Olympus, but am not completely set on just those 2 brands. The ability to shoot good sharp macro pictures is the most important consideration because of my need to show detail in the products I want to sell.
Paul Downes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2011, 8:04 PM   #2

Please give us a budget to work with and a few samples of typical photos that you take.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 1:20 AM   #3

What about the Panasonic? Although I love my S95, I find Panasonic's focusing and macro mode to be considerably better.

I presume by "digital zoom" you actually meant "optical zoom"? What kind of zoom are you looking for? Keep in mind that a long zoom will cost you a larger sensor/brighter lens on P&S cameras, which I have found to be a issue under tree cover when hiking.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 1:11 PM   #4

I hadn't considered Panasonic cameras before. I am old school and am used to reliable equipment. What kind of longevity should one expect from a panasonic? I will probably spend $500 or less and am looking for a super zoom. My previous camera was the Canon S5 IS and I was less than thrilled with it's ability to focus in macro mode. Other than that it was O.K. I will be shooting pictures of figured wood and plastics that have a lot of detail. Sales of my products are very dependant on showing fine detail. I don't care about manual focus if a camera has the ability to focus sharply in automatic mode. I found that the Canon S5 IS was really flaky in either manual or auto focus with the Macro feature turned on. Pretty much worthless.

I did look up Panasonic cameras on line yesterday and figure to visit a shop to look at them hands on.
Paul Downes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 1:47 PM   #5

My G10 focusses quickly and accurately in either normal or macro mode. And it's 15mp. Only available now used of course. IMO it's far superior to the G11 and G12 that succeeded it.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 1:53 PM   #6

I would suggest looking at the Panasonic Lumix FZ-35, 40, or 100. They all have a lot of features. The FZ-35 has 18X optical zoom while the 40 and 100 have 24X optical zoom. The 100 is the newest camera from that line up, and has a few more features than the 35 or 40.

Also look at the Canon Powershot SX30IS. It has 30X optical zoom, but not as many features as the Panasonics do.

All these cameras record video in HD. I know the 100 records in 1080I resolution and the canon records in 720p resolution.

When I bought my new Panasonic FZ-100, I looked at the Canon also. But decided to try the Panasonic camera cause it has MANY more features than the Canon could ever dream of. I can take 11fps burst mode at full 14mp, and 60fps at 3mp. And the Canon doesn't even offer a burst mode like that. And the Panasonic takes better video than the Canon.

Canon has a little bit better IQ, but with a little post processing the Panasonic cameras are one of the best ones out there. And I USED to be a big Canon owner. This FZ-100 is my first ever Panasonic camera I have ever owned, and I am just thrilled with the results I am getting from it.

Hope this helps out.
Da Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 6:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Downes View Post
I hadn't considered Panasonic cameras before. I am old school and am used to reliable equipment. What kind of longevity should one expect from a panasonic?
Panasonic has been rated #1 on reliability in the P&S market for at least 2 years running. Canon has actually dropped in terms of reliability for their P&S cams.

Regarding the aforementioned bridge cameras, I've owned them all. The SX30 has less-than-stellar focusing and the macro mode is not as good as the Panasonic cams. The AF system on Canon's recent P&S cameras seems to get confused very easily. The SX30 also suffers from some very extreme CA.

The FZ100 is blazing fast and really fun to use but the FZ35/FZ40 are sharper and I also found them to do better with fine detail such as hair/fur. The colors on the FZ100 are excellent. If shooting action, this would be my choice.

The FZ35 has the best IQ of all 4 cameras imho, but only marginally better than the FZ40. The color and handling are a little better on the FZ40 imho. The FZ35 is noticeably smaller though and it will do a little better in low light due to large photo sites. Some people make this difference out to be bigger than it is. The truth is, all bridge cameras suck in low light.

Out of the 4, I opted to keep the FZ40. I don't have any macro shots handy but if you look in the Panasonic forum, LT has surely posted some.