Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 22, 2011, 12:27 PM   #1

Default looking for a camera for my mom....

she has a canon camera now, its i think 8 years old or so...its been dropped several times, the flash works when it wants to, it basically needa to be replaced.

NOW, she REALLY wants a fast shutter speed............BUT she WILL ONLY SHOOT IN AUTO MODE.....as she puts it, "i don't care about all the features, i just want to push a button and get a really good picture." so it needs to be a fast auto shutter LOL

i think her camera has 2x zoom......so something with some nice zoom would be great, but compact in size is also a must.....BUT not as small as the canon sd1400-is my wife has, she says that's way too small, and also not as big as my old canon s5-is, she says that's too big........

as for what kind of pics she takes? pics of her dogs, pics of the grand kids at the park, pics of random stuff she wants a pic of really......lots of indoor shots......really just an old lady who hates technology but wants a great snapshot!

what do you guys suggest? i don't think brand is an issue for her.....but i will say she will definatley be wanting something that will last another 8 or so years....

thanks for your help!
bryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2011, 1:06 PM   #2

By saying nothing smaller than the SD400IS you are really limiting yourself on point and shoot cameras. But I would suggest the Sony DSC-W350. It is kind of small, but perfect for some one who just wants to shoot in auto mode. It also does sweep panoramic pictures, and video all in HD. It is a 14MP camera, but can be reduced to 10MP or lower if you want. Has 4X optical zoom, and the zoom can be used while using the video mode. I bought one for my wife and mother. It takes excellent pictures and does great videos. It is very easy to use, and the best thing is it is wont break the bank. Normally costs around $124. I bought mine on sale for $119.
Da Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2011, 1:11 PM   #3

thanks wolf good suggestion, its pretty damn small though, and i was sorta looking for longer zoom.........
Old Feb 22, 2011, 1:19 PM   #4

The DSC-W370 is a little bigger and offers 7X optical zoom and more options for shooting pics. But the 350 is the most basic point and shoot that takes really good pics IMO.
Da Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2011, 1:42 PM   #5

For what it might be worth; I am an instructor for a seniors only camera group. Interestingly enough, the camera that predominates among that 18 member group is the Kodak Z915 which offers 10X optical zoom, video, very good indoor photo quality, and simplified menus.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2011, 6:02 PM   #6

thanks Sarah.......i showed that one to her, she hates the look of it..UGH!!

well back to the drawing board.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 8:01 PM   #7

bryman-

'Not to worry. That happens. How about the Canon A3000? Although the A3000 is the lowest priced Canon to have IS, the lens is very good as well, and once again, it has a powerful flash that makes for good indoor photos. I have attached an A3000 photo sample.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:51 PM   #8

she thinks that A3000 is to small too go figure...what about the Canon
SX130 IS

she says she likes the bulkiness of it? hows that perform?
Old Feb 23, 2011, 2:54 PM   #9

bryman-

The physical size difference between the SX130 and the A3000 is actually rather small. However the price difference is rather large. The A3000 from the walmart website is $80 delivered to your home. The SX130 from Amazon is $178+shipping.

The SX130 is a good camera, my husband uses one, but the price difference is enough to make you re-calculate your decision.

Sarah Joyce