Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 22, 2011, 6:17 PM   #1

Default Olympus E-PL1 and E-PL2

Can anyone tell me the difference between these two cameras, other than superficially different styling and $100?
Old Feb 22, 2011, 7:03 PM   #2

Sure,

The most notable differences between the two are newer E-PL2 has:

A new 14-42mm lens called the MKII. It has faster focusing capabilities than the original sold with the ELP-1 along with being virtually silent when focusing. It also has threads that will accept polarizing filters, etc.

The lcd is much improved and larger now being 3". More importantly, it is brighter and has better visibility in bright sunlight.

Olympus has brought back the dial on the back of the camera which was missing from the E-PL1. Operation of the E-PL2 is a bit easier and more conventional if you're a dslr user.

Last it has a bluetooth interface.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 3:14 PM   #3

If I may ask, what would b the 1 best lens(w/t) to get with the EPL-2?
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 8:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayyaz View Post
If I may ask, what would b the 1 best lens(w/t) to get with the EPL-2?
The E-PL2 with the 14-42mm standard kit lens will give you a focal range (35mm) of 28-84mm equiv. It covers a pretty good range for street shooting,kids, portraits etc.

I have the EPL-1 with the first version of that lens which is very sharp and I use it for most of my shooting. For a 2nd lens, I bought a 9-18mm lens which covers my wide angle needs for landscape shots.

Olympus also makes a 14-150mm, 40-150mm, and a 75mm-300 lens all of which are very sharp. It's a matter of your requirements as to which would be the best.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 9:26 PM   #5

The epl-2 and the epl-1 are very similar in image quality. They use the same sensor. But olympus gave it a higher shutter speed of 1/4000 of a sec. And a not so usable 6400iso.

The lens is the big difference. With the msc it makes for a faster focusing lens, and a bit quiter for video recording. But optically the 2 lenses are very similar.

You get another art filter. And the ability to use the new bluetooth penpal to transfer files.

So the street price of the epl-1 is almost 200 dollars less then the epl-2.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 9:28 PM   #6

Are you saying the EPL-1 is a better buy than the EPL-2, bearing in mind useful features and cost?
Old Feb 24, 2011, 9:42 PM   #7

it depends on what you are looking for, the epl-1 has the dial that some user like. But as a epl-1 owner, there is really nothing much it offers over the epl-1. 6400iso is really noise. And the 1/4000 shutter speed is about the only feature that would be useful. Not sure I would use the penpal really. As the sd card reader is faster then bluetooth for transferring to the computer. But would be cool to send to your smart phone for facebook or email quickly.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 9:43 PM   #8

I forgot I think the epl-2 can use a shutter release cable. That is a plus for the epl-2
Old Feb 25, 2011, 3:33 AM   #9
Super Moderator

And the EPL-1 is one of the ugliest cameras ever made by Olympus, they consulted the stylists for v2, and things are back to looking pretty good.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 6:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
Are you saying the EPL-1 is a better buy than the EPL-2, bearing in mind useful features and cost?
As an upgrade from a point and shoot, the E-PL1 is a better buy, because you can buy the E-PL1 2 lens kit 14-42mm +40-150mm lenses for 599.00USD The cost of the E-PL2 with the 14-42mm lens alone is 599.00USD.

The image quality is virtually the same. And, if you simply want a grab and go camera that when you put it in auto and don't like to fiddle with the settings, the E-PL1 is just fine.

As a photographic tool where you want to be in full control of the settings, the E-PL2,. with the dials and control buttons is a better choice as it is easier to navigate and make changes.

So, it all depends on your style of shooting.
Zig

I should clarify that both the E-PL1 and the E-PL2 allow for full manual controls of all the settings that you would find in a digital slr camera. The E-PL2 just has an easier user interface due to the additional control dial and buttons.

Last edited by zig-123; Feb 27, 2011 at 4:26 PM.