Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:54 PM   #1

Default Upgrade from Nikon P90 to what SLR?

Hi I tried reading what others are asking and advice they are getting and am still very confused. So I have to have my own thread.

I bought the Nikon P90 about 3 years ago. I LOVE that camera! It has opened up my world of photography like never before.

I have wanted a SLR for about 3 years but felt it was more than I could handle at that time. Now it is time to make the jump!

So What should be my next step from a Nikon P90?

I'm not sure that I'm Brand Loyal, I love Nikon coolpix but not sure if it's the best for my SLR needs.

Some of what I'm looking for, and what I do.

I shoot a lot of Nature photography, Landscape and close up. I go from a Wide shot to a Macro all in the same photo session. (Is this a lenses or camera thing option?)

I want to be able to Print LARGE Poster size photos, with professional quality

I want to be able to also use the camera in a church low light setting with or with out flash.

Good stabilization is of a desire.

I think i'm looking at the mid range not the 'interdictory' level. price of 1000.00 or less.

I've looked at but not limited too:

Nikon 3100 (just seamed basic)

Nikon D90 Loved the lenses on this one,

Sony A55 I like the built in stability and the video in HD

So what any I missing and what do I need to think about?

Tooo many choices!

Thanks
widget is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2011, 1:45 PM   #2
Administrator

Under $1K, huh?

I'd look at the Sony A580, as it's using the latest Sony 16MP APS-C sensor design (but at a lower price point compared to the Nikon D7000 and Pentax K-5, without the light loss through the mirror you get with the Sony A55, since existing light shooting appears to be a big consideration).

Quote:
I shoot a lot of Nature photography, Landscape and close up. I go from a Wide shot to a Macro all in the same photo session. (Is this a lenses or camera thing option?)

You can't have everything you want in a single lens if you want the best quality. ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 10:38 PM   #3

You may also want to look at the canon 60D, it gives you a body that is under your 1000.00 limit.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 8:04 AM   #4

Let's be clear - at under $1000 you're not going to meet all your goals - wide angle, macro, low light with professional quality poster size prints. Your expectations are just unrealistic. If you want quality at that size you're looking at several thousand $$$ in lens costs alone. A DSLR is NOT a magic point and shoot camera. Lenses are important. The larger you print the more apparent image flaws are - so the more important quality glass is. And, of course megapixels. If you want professional quality poster size prints cameras like the Canon 5dII, sony A900 are good options with appropriate lenses. But, you can do a lot with DSLRs with kit lenses just not everything you want to do and certainly not professional quality poster size prints of low light & macro work.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:03 PM   #5

For example, here is a link to some 'nature' (wildlife) photos that I would consider good enough for LARGE poster-sized professional quality:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=37814067

Of course, everyone's definition of what constitutes Profesional quality at Poster size is different. And macro is a whole lot easier than the shots in that thread. But the kit that photographer used sells for:
Canon 1dIV: $4900
Canon 500mm f4: $6500
Total: $11,400
And of course I can guarantee there's a WHOLE lot of skill involved there. Conversely: Macro photography can be done with some less expensive lenses like a sigma 150mm 2.8 and most any DSLR. BUT you'd want a quality tripod and a good lighting setup. There's an enormous difference between "nice shot" and "professional quality LARGE poster-sized" photos.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 12:31 PM   #6

HOLY SH!T JohnG...I've never seen such image quality at 100% !

But at 11.000 USD, I wouldn't expect anything less...
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2011, 1:02 PM   #7

yes, the term "professional quality" gets thrown around a lot without people understanding what it really means
Old Mar 5, 2011, 2:12 PM   #8

So do you have any more links like the one above, I'd like to see more 'works of art' !
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote