Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 26, 2011, 5:16 PM   #11

It really is a over rate topic, any lens shorter the 85mm really do not benefit much form IS is the real world. You will be able to keep the shutter speed up to avoid camera shake in most cases.

The T3i is a good rebel. But it does not have the faster and more accurate AF as the 60D, the 9 points cross type AF is important for action. Especially if you want to shoot a off center action shot. Also the 5.3fps burst rate is a nice upgrade for aciton. You get most of the shots in focus with the superior AF. My T1i which has the same AF as the t3i, would not give me as many keeper with off center action shots.

The body of the 60D is better weather seal then the T3i. And the ability to shoot 49 shot at 5.3 is better then the 22-24 with the rebel. But the screens are the same and are excellent. I like the layout better in the 60D with dedicated buttons for key features I use allot, like AF point, iso, burst rate, and metering. If I were in the market for my first dslr in the intermediate or entry advance. I would spend the extra for the 60D over the t3i.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 10:49 PM   #12

PS, the performance of IS lens base vs in body really is a moot point. I shoot a in body pentax and olympus, and there is really no real difference between them and my canon lens IS. Granted the pentax IS is not as good as the olympus in body system. And with my olympus, I use lens base IS when I use panasonic lenses on it. And it seems that at the longer end the lens base just is a bit better. But not worth pinned a decision on the 1/3 of a stop of performance.

So as long as it has IS for longer focal length lenses. It is good to go.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 5:07 PM   #13

How would U compare the D7000 to 60D?
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 5:12 PM   #14

60D is actually a better tool imho.

The nikon buffer is a major issue for action shooting with long bursts. At 6fps you only get about 2-2.5 second before the camera really slows down to 1fps when you had the sd cards in. With them out, it bangs away forever at 6fps. But that does serve any purpose. With the canon you can shoot 59 large jpeg before buffer lag. Lets not talk about raw in burst.

The HD is a better as canon has a better implementation of it.

AF speed the canon has been tested to be faster by 2 reviews popular photography, and cameralabs. Both have 9 cross type AF points. The other that the d7000 has is not as accurate for single point action shooting.

Build is a moot point, the canon is better water seal. The nikon has 2 metal skin and the other skin is plastic, so it is misleading. Both are built on metal frames.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 28, 2011 at 5:14 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote