Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 23, 2011, 3:36 PM   #1

Default Nikon D7000 v/s Canon 60D v/s Sony A580

Which one of the above takes the edge in IQ, speed and overall ? If just 1 lens was required which one would U recommend for the model U selected from the above choices i.e wide/telephoto 18-200 etc?

Last edited by Fayyaz; Feb 24, 2011 at 12:56 PM.
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2011, 3:11 PM   #2

Nobody?????
Old Feb 25, 2011, 1:06 PM   #3

Thank U everybody
Old Feb 25, 2011, 1:31 PM   #4
Administrator

I'd pick the A580. But, I shoot with a Sony A700, so I'm probably a bit biased.

I'd immediately rule out the Nikon since I shoot RAW most of the time, and it's internal buffer is much smaller than the Sony A700, Canon 60D, or Sony A580 (and I hate to wait on a camera when shooting bursts). IOW, wouldn't want my camera slowing down after only 10 frames in a burst when shooting RAW (which is what you get with the Nikon D7000).

I don't need a larger buffer that often. But, when I do (for example, lots of short bursts taking photos of race cars at the local dirt tracks), I wouldn't want to be limited by Nikon's decision to limit internal memory size to 10 RAW frames (especially since it's a more expensive camera compared to the Sony A580, which has a buffer depth that's roughly twice a large as the Nikon's). The Canon 60D you're looking at also has a much larger internal buffer compared to the Nikon D7000. The D7000 has a 10 frame buffer when shooting RAW, the Canon D60 has an 18 frame buffer shooting RAW, and the Sony A580 has a 22 frame buffer shooting RAW. Guess which one I'd choose (especially considering that Sony is less expensive). ;-)

Given that the Sony A580 and Nikon D7000 both use Sony 16MP CMOS Sensors, it would be a "no brainer" to me to go with the Sony (much lower price point, similar image quality shooting RAW, much better buffer depth, fast AF using Live View, neat features like Auto HDR, etc. with the Sony). The Nikon has more AF points. But, the number of AF points does not necessarily mean better AF performance.

After using some of the Sony models with Live View for a while, I also don't think I'd be happy with the competition in that area (they're all going to focus *much* slower than current Sony models in Live View mode). Now, I wouldn't use it that often (Live View). But, that feature is growing on me (and the face detection while still taking advantage of faster Phase Detect AF in Live View mode is a cool feature), and I'd still want good AF performance when I do use it (overhead shots, shots from waist level or lower angles, etc.), and non-Sony models don't give you that option (fast Autofocus using live view).

As for an all in one lens, *if* I decided to go that route, it would be a tough call, as none of them are as good as using separate lenses that cover the same focal range. But, I'd probably stick to the camera manufacturers lenses if I did go that route (Nikon 18-200mm, Canon 18-200mm, Sony 18-250mm).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2011, 2:57 PM   #5
Administrator

BTW, I've also spent time using some of the "Super Zoom" lenses (including the Nikkor 18-200mm VR lens).

They're very convenient, and if you're not "pixel peeping", they can do a pretty good job. But, on the other hand, you will get better image quality using separate lenses to cover the same focal range.

It sounds like you're leaning towards a single lens solution... Personally, if going that route, I'd stick to the camera manufacturers' offerings, as indicated in my last post (Canon 18-200mm, Nikkor 18-200mm, Sony 18-250mm). I'd avoid the Sony or Tamron 18-200mm though, despite the tempting price point (the Sony and Tamron 18-200mm lenses are not as good as the Tamron/Sony 18-250mm offerings).
Old Feb 26, 2011, 1:38 PM   #6

I too was leaning towards the Sony A580.What abt the A33 or A55? R these better than the A580? or just different? The lens U recommended is the 18-250, but would it matter that it is nt the new Sony G or Zeiss? I am no xpert by far but do want to spend money on a camera which would last a few yrs at least.
Does the Canon t3i or t3 come anywhere in the competition?

Last edited by Fayyaz; Feb 26, 2011 at 1:50 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 1:58 PM   #7

I would pick the 60D, it was name the best in class by popular photography. I will give you a great lens selection. A very good AF better then the nikon or sony. And if you were going with a superzoom lens the tamron 18-270VC. I am seriously considered this lens for the 60D.

The nikon will give you 6fps for about 2 second before you hit the buffer lag.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 1:58 PM   #8
Administrator

The A33 and A55 are interesting cameras, and they're smaller and lighter than the A580. I'd try them in a store to see what you think. Ditto for other cameras you're considering (try them in a store if you can, as each user will have differerent preferences in a camera design).

But, you do lose some light through the translucent mirror design used with the A33 and A55. So, the A580 has a bit of an advantage in Image Quality.

As for an 18-250mm, Sony does not make a G or Zeiss version of it (and the G rating is reserved for Sony's higher quality lenses). This is the only Alpha mount 18-250mm lens that Sony offers right now:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665233511

Again, you'll probably get better image quality using more than one lens to cover the same focal range from wide to long (versus a single "super zoom" type lens).

The Sony 18-250mm appears to use the same optical design as the Tamron 18-250mm, and the Sony version is slightly more expensive than the Tamron 18-250mm. But, it does have some differences (in favor of the Sony version).

For example, external build quality, rounded aperture blades, different optical coatings, as well as being geared for faster Autofocus compared to the Tamron. For example, the Tamron takes 21 focus screw turns to go from the closet focus distance to infinity, and the Sony version only takes 12 screw turns (the Sony version is designed to focus faster).
Old Feb 26, 2011, 2:22 PM   #9

If you were looking at these camera for action shooting, the canon then nikon then sony. The Sony only AF is not as good as the canon or nikon. 3 cross type points vs 9 with both the canon and nikon. cross type points are what you need for action photography.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 4:09 PM   #10

What abt lens stabilization v/s body stabilization? Which would U consider better? How would U rate the t3i in comparison to the 60D or t3?