Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 24, 2011, 2:59 PM   #1

Default Need some pros and cons- S95 or LX5

Hello,
I know this topic has been covered extensively and I have probably read TOO many reviews. The Cameras seem to be very close comparable with some favoring one over the over.
Seems like the common points are that the S95 is smaller more compact. The LX5 people complain about the lens cover.

I am torn. We are looking for a nice camera, compact or somewhat compact and mainly takes very good pictures and takes them fast. With a new baby on the way, we don't want to miss a good shot or smile.

It seems like the s95 starts up and is ready for the first shot very quickly. What about the LX5?

Do they take pictures at relatively the same speed?

Are there any aspects that one camera really out does the other? If it is marginal I probably wont notice but I would like to hear peoples pros and cons on each.
thanks
bfan781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2011, 6:46 PM   #2

You might want to consider the Olympus XZ-1 as well. It has the brightest lens throughout the focal range of any of the cameras in its class (S95, LX5, TL500 are the others). However, it is the largest of the bunch I believe.

One consideration for the LX5 might be out-of-camera color. I find the S95's OOC color to be preferable to the LX5's. Keep in mind that none of these cameras are going to do terribly well with a moving subject indoors. That is, unfortunately, a realm best handled by DSLRs or maybe a micro 4/3 camera.

Anyway, I'm sure you've read about these 2 camera til you're blue, as I did. The size and OOC images were crucial factors for me. If it won't fit in my pocket, I generally won't carry it (with a few exceptions, e.g. the zoo). The S95 was the only one that fit in my pocket and the OOC images look great imho.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 8:10 AM   #3

thanks for the advice. So when you say they wont do the greatest indoors moving target do you mean they'll be blurry? Will some come out good.

What about time between shots? I believe I read that the s95 has a fast fast up time from powering on till first shot then it lags behind a little between the shots. What about the LX5? Does that take quicker shots? Or is it so close it isnt noticable?
bfan781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2011, 2:12 PM   #4

There isn't really any noticeable difference in shot-to-shot times between them. The only area in which the S95 is noticeably slow is in menu operation.

Although these cameras have larger sensors than your typical P&S camera, the sensors are still quite small compared to a DSLR or micro 4/3 camera. You can up the shutter speed to say 1/60 indoors but depending on the lighting in your home, the photo may come out too dark. Shooting with a slower shutter may cause blur though if your subject is moving too quickly. Of course you can use the flash in these situations but the flash will change the color tone.

For what it's worth, I love my S95.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 2:20 PM   #5

What abt the Olympus xz-1.Is it at par with these 2?
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2011, 3:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayyaz View Post
What abt the Olympus xz-1.Is it at par with these 2?
Absolutely, but as mentioned above, it the largest of the bunch I believe.

Each one in the group has its own pros and cons as usual, though in this case, all 3 are good choices imho.