Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 24, 2011, 10:42 PM   #1

Default Older Vs Newer: Nikon 5700 / Canon SD4000

Hi,

New here and my first post. I work with small scale model trains and am looking for a camera for showing in-progress work on small kits. Typically these kits are 1" -3" high and have a similar depth. I'm really leaning towards a P&S for the ease of use and frankly, the budget (right around $200).

I ran into someone recently who suggested it may be worth it to look at an older camera with a bit more functionality than a newer P&S. I borrowed a Nikon Coolpix 5700 and played with it a bit in auto mode. Attached is a shot of a building 1.5" wide and 2.5" high.

Shallow DOF but I thought the building face looked fairly good. My question... do you think something like a $200 Canon SD4000 would do as well or better?

I realize there may be a lot of variables in this question, but from a P&S perspective... Nikon 5700 or Canon SD4000?

Thanks
John
Attached Images

Last edited by JPC60; Feb 24, 2011 at 11:03 PM.
JPC60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:40 AM   #2

At that size, I honestly don't think it really matters.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:44 AM   #3

You fairly confident then that a Canon SD4000 could do close-up work like this?

John
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:50 AM   #4

JPC -

I would give the Nikon 5700 a slight edge in this case. I own both cameras, but I believe that the 5700 actually captured a bit more detail. Here is a macro example of what the SD4000 can do.

Please take a look at this thread before making a final decision on the 5700:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ni...ix-5700-a.html

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Feb 25, 2011 at 12:00 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2011, 6:35 PM   #5

Thanks for posting that SD4000 shot, I'll be shooting indoors in a tent so it would seem to be just fine for my needs. Interesting about those horizontal lines with the 5700. I don't think it's a headache / potential headache I'd look forward to.

I guess too since the new Canons will be out in a couple of weeks, existing Powershot models may even dip a few dollars as well... not my main focus but a nice incentive to buy. I don't think there's anything wildly new coming out in the Powershot line in the sub-$250 range.

I just saw now that a local store by me is moving their S90s for about $250... might be another option there!

John
Old Feb 25, 2011, 6:47 PM   #6

John-

A Canon S90 for $250.00 is not bad. But please do remember Nikon P+S camera were well known for the macro capability.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Feb 25, 2011 at 7:20 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 8:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPC60 View Post
You fairly confident then that a Canon SD4000 could do close-up work like this?

John
Well tbh, I'd pick a Panasonic over a Canon for macro work as the Pannys can usually get in closer and have far better focusing ability.

Anyway, I think the old Nikon you have is a better option than the SD4000. I just don't think there will be much noticeable difference if the intended output size is similar to the size you posted.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 9:10 PM   #8

I appreciate all the advice. Playing around a bit more with the 5700 and don't hate the results. I suppose I have to factor is the old "grass is greener" bit as I decided. Also I have to admit I've always been a purely P&S person... really clueless when it comes to the manual settings on the 5700.

At the very least it sounds like a little study time a manual wouldn't be the worst idea for me. The lack of the 5700 manual reading hasn't been from laziness, just working on my own business (with the trains) and between working the business, learning several software packages, etc., etc., I was looking for a fairly easy solution with the camera as time is at a premium.

John
Attached Images

Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:37 PM   #9

John-

The final rule is this: if you do not like the camera you are buying very much, you probably won't use it much either. Its that simple.

Sarah Joyce