Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 28, 2011, 2:04 PM   #11

K-x does very good with rechargeable batteries. I'm using one set of Duracell Pre-charged and one set of Sanyo enloops. I easily get 700+ photos with one charge. I have kept the supplied lithium batteries for emergency.
My blog - http://www.ronakg.com
ronakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 4:54 PM   #12

If 1080p is important I would look at the canon's over pentax and nikon. Canon 550D/t2i and 600D/t3i are the best entry level dslr for HD video at 1080p.

If you want to look at sony, the mid level a580 or a560 are very good also with HD.

The sony slt camera like the a55 and a33 are good for video, but have a over heating problem with image stabilization on in warm weather. But sony does not have as many lenses, and the batteries do not last to long between charges.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 4:58 PM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The sony slt camera like the a55 and a33 are good for video, but have a over heating problem with image stabilization on in warm weather. But sony does not have as many lenses, and the batteries do not last to long between charges.
I wouldn't be too sure about that. I've been using one of the Sony Axx models for two weeks now, and I've yet to see any overheating with it (and image stabilization has been on the entire time). I plan on "stress testing" it more tmrw to see if I can force it to overheat. But, in normal use, I've yet to see a problem. Yes, I've seen some users report issues. But, the one I'm using has been working fine (and the weather has been warmer than normal down this way, too).

Ditto for battery life. I filled up an 8GB card and partially filled another 8GB card, without recharging the battery. I just now plugged it into the charger after a about a weeks worth of moderate use, including spending one night shooting a live band from around 8:00PM until 2:00AM with hundreds of raw+jpeg photos and lots of "chimping", as well as lots of other photos around town before and after that in warmer weather, all on the same battery charge.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 5:07 PM   #14

well it is not 90 yet even down in georgia, the warning is for warm weather. So I would not discount it till it get hot and humid in the 90's to test if the A55 with IS on will not over heat.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 28, 2011 at 5:26 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 5:27 PM   #15

I am glad to hear that, JimC-

I feel the a33 and a55 should have some real long term potential.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2011, 1:10 PM   #16

I went out this weekend to the local camera shop and played around getting a feel for various cameras, I ended up with the Nikon d3100 and I love it. The pictures are amazing and I am thrilled.

Thanks everyone!!
gekko422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2011, 2:19 PM   #17

I have a few (3) of friends that have Pentax Kx cameras...they're very happy with them. They all got the kit...18-55 and 55-300 mm lenses.

Batteries they use the Sony rechargeables which come with a Sony charger. I've used the Sony batteries in my Pentax KM since 2009 and a buddy has used them in his Pentax K200D since 2008. No problems with either the Sony rechargeables or the Pentax equipment.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote