Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 25, 2011, 8:32 PM   #1

Default Iam loosing it trying to decide on my first DSLR HELP

I had decided on D5000 then read on here and the thought D3100 then a Cannon. My mind can't take the stress of deciding LOL FIRST I want to apologize for being so Camera ignorant. I will spent $750 t0 $800 on a kit have seen many buys with l2 lenses camera accessories etc for this prices. I will use it for family pics, travel, wildlife and our business. I own a dog training business, we train police dogs and schutzhund dogs. So there will be action movement shots and will use them on our website. Also have grandchildren and you knowI will follow them around with a camera. I want to thank you for ur input but i need advice and help. All the f talk and lens stuff I know nothing about so please keep it novice simple and again Thank You
Paul Howell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2011, 9:28 PM   #2

get 550D with 18-55 or d3100..
idenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 1:54 AM   #3

canon 550D/t2i is better camera then both camera mention. If you want the tilt screen you can get the 600D/t3i.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 2:34 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Don't stress, just about any camera you choose will do what you need.

Try to get down to a camera store and play with a few, find one you like the look and feel of.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 11:47 AM   #5

try the pentax k-x, i got it and love it for my 1st dslr!
lin7604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post

Try to get down to a camera store and play with a few, find one you like the look and feel of.
I agree wholeheartedly, with the caveat that, if you are familiar with a particular manufacturer's cameras, from using others' cameras, or having a point and shoot of your own, you are likely to be more comfortable with that brand.
The differences in cameras within a category (entry level, pro, etc) are the source of a lot of interesting arguments, but really are minor when it comes to general photography.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2011, 2:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post

I agree, I'm no pro, just a beginner like you, this is my first DSLR, but this is bascally what I did. I went down to Best Buy and played with a few of their cameras. I was looking at the same cameras that you're looking into. The D3100 was my first choice, but the more I researched, the more confused I became. There are so many options, Nikon D3100, D90, Canon T2i / T3i, Sony A33 / 55 / 560, etc, Pentax, you get my drift. I looked at most of these cameras for about 3 weeks, I couldn't decided.

I posted on here and people helped out, but the more I read reviews, the more stressed and confused that I got.

I kept coming back to the D3100, and so last week, I pulled the trigger and bought the D3100 / 18-55mm kit along with the 55-200mm lens (from Amazon). I was able to get the camera kit, 55-200mm lens and 16GB class 10 memory card for less than $700.

I feel pretty good about the purchase and think I got a good deal. I just got the camera yesterday evening and haven't had time to "play" around with it yet.

I wanted to wait for the T3i or go for the T2i, but the more I priced my options, the more expensive these cameras and accessories got(and the Sony A560 /580 cameras became - $1000+). Now I have a nice camera, 2 lenses, a good sized memory card and money to play with for a nice camera bag, flash, extra battery, lens and so on.

I guess just get what you want, what works for your budget and so on. I could've spend $1100+ on one of the other cameras but didn't.

Just my two cents, I hope it help,
Kill@B3E is offline   Reply With Quote