Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 27, 2011, 7:09 PM   #11

Which would you recommend if I want something smaller than the 120/130?

What's the SX 110 like?

Do you think the Canons are better than the Nikon Coolpix S8000 or S8100?
sjde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 8:52 PM   #12

I'm a firm believer in assessing image quality of a camera by using the sample photos available in Steve's reviews. I just looked at the samples of the SX130is and was amazed at how good this camera is from ISO 80 to ISO 400. The fact that you can use two NiMH AA batteries is a plus and will save money in the long run. Get the 2500ma ones if you decide to buy the SX130is. By the way, Even the highly desired SX1is which still sells for about $600.00 will not match it for image quality.
100-300mm Minolta Maxxum APO Zoom
70-300 Sony apo G SSM Zoom
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin7604 View Post
funny how that is the cheapest one of that bunch too...... i had been looking at all of them at some point and was very confused as to which was better. I know the downfall from the 120/130 is the size but i mainly want a camera that takes decent indoor pics. not sure why the others are so much more expensive?
The size of the SX130 is primarily what keeps the price down. In a market where so many people are shooting w/ their cell phones, most people really want something that fits in a pocket easily.

None of these cameras are the best choice for indoor pics but if you're willing to use the flash, the SX130 is probably the best choice again b/c it probably has the strongest flash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin7604 View Post
so with the cmos, does it produce better images? or low light( indoors)?
In terms of these pinhead sensors, CCD sensors typically produce sharper images. CMOS sensors produce more noise which many manufacturers wipe out with strong NR (noise reduction). This results in some loss of detail, especially if the manufacturer doesn't get the balance right between noise/detail. The CMOS sensors are slightly better in low light but with a 1/2.3" sensor, they're all quite bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjde View Post
Which would you recommend if I want something smaller than the 120/130?

What's the SX 110 like?

Do you think the Canons are better than the Nikon Coolpix S8000 or S8100?
I think the Canons are a better choice based on reasons I've stated in previous posts. If you can do without the zoom, I would recommend checking out the new HS 500 or the camera it replaces (the SD4000). You'll get better low light performance, but you'll lose the zoom.

Any SX110 or SX120 you get is very likely to be used as they were both discontinued long ago.