Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 27, 2011, 3:05 PM   #1

Default D3100 vs T2I - Help Please

Hello All - Thanks in advance for any comments!

I have been researching dslr package deals for several weeks. After reading almost every review on the internet I have narrowed it down to these two packages (I think).

1 - Nikon D3100 with Nikkor 18-55 AF-S VR lens and Nikkor 55-300 AF-S VR lens

2 - Cannon EOS Rebel T2I with Canon EFS 18-55 lens and Canon EFS 55-250 lens

Pricing is about 1K for either package and is all I want to spend.

I am upgrading from a Canon S5IS point and shoot (been a good point and shoot)

I take a lot of action shots mostly on the baseball and softball field. Most shots are during the day, but a few are taken at night (well lit fields). I want the best camera/lens combination for this purpose, but want it to be very capable of still shots of the family as well.

Can anyone offer any recommendation on either package for my use?

Thanks!
Tim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2011, 4:16 PM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B View Post
I take a lot of action shots mostly on the baseball and softball field. Most shots are during the day, but a few are taken at night (well lit fields). I want the best camera/lens combination for this purpose, but want it to be very capable of still shots of the family as well.
What you think is a well lit field is probably *very* dim to a camera. As a general rule of thumb, you're going to want a lens with f/2.8 available throughout the focal range, using ISO 3200 or higher to reduce blur from subject movement shooting sports "under the lights". That rules out any of the lenses you've mentioned.

On the budget end, something like a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM lens can be found for around $800. It's available in a variety of camera mounts at a lower price point compared to the camera manufacturer's similar lenses. But, our sports shooters will tell you that 200mm is really not long enough for baseball on a full size field, and a lens with f/2.8 and 300mm or longer is going to cost a *lot* more. So, don't expect to be able to get good shots of the entire field using a lens like that.

In other words, I would not anticipate finding a kit that's good enough to capture sports at night with a $1K budget.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 4:26 PM   #3

The canon is the more advance camera, with more features.

The T2i can shoot a EV bracket, which is very useful in tricky light like at dust and dawn. The camera can be able to be set up to shoot a 3 round burst with 3 ev setting to get proper exposure. The D3100 does not have that feature.

Also the canon does process a better AF system then the nikon in the entry to mid level dslr.

The canon also have the better HD setup.

But like jimc said for your sport shots the ef-s 55-250 nor the AF-s 55-300 will be great for that. They are not nikon or canon's faster focusing lenses. So the lens can struggle to keep up with the action in AF during the day.

And at low lighting not bright enough at 5.6 at 250 with the canon and at 300 with the nikon. And a big aperture 2.8 lens will get expensive with any of the brands.

If you can give up on the low light action. I would move to the canon ef 70-300USM or the nikon AF-s 70-300 for the faster AF motors.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 27, 2011 at 5:06 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 5:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
What you think is a well lit field is probably *very* dim to a camera..............

In other words, I would not anticipate finding a kit that's good enough to capture sports at night with a $1K budget.
Point taken and thanks. Without regard to night shots, which is the better of the two for daytime action?
Tim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 5:07 PM   #5

Canon with the proper lens, as the AF is better then the d3100.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 6:06 PM   #6

Just wanted to back up what Jim said - even about the daytime shots. For full field baseball you need 300mm if you're shooting from on the field/dugout just to cover the infield. If you're outside the fence then 400mm.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote