Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 1, 2011, 11:00 AM   #1

Default First DSLR

Hello everyone,

I am finally looking to move into the world of DSLR's. Last time I looked at cameras was 2003 so I know a lot has changed and I'm a little lost. Currently I own a Nikon N-80 and N-8008 along with a Nikon 28-80 nikkor af lens and a quantaray 100-300mm d lens. My current lenses do not have the motors in them, which I understand will not be compatible with the newer cameras that do not have the motors. I've been offered to buy a used Nikon D3000 but will need to buy the lenses if I want autofocus. I've looked at it and it seems to be a step back from where I am with my 35mm slr.
So, any suggestions? I'm right now in the $500 range for camera and lens (obviously used) but I am willing to save and wait until I can find something better. I plan to use the camera for a wide range of activities, from vacations to action sports to buildings. Video would be nice but not a necessity.
vworkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2011, 11:12 AM   #2

Adorama is selling the factory-refurbished D90 body only right now for $650, which is a $70 savings off its usual price. It comes with a Nikon 90-day factory warranty and, as an authorized Nikon purchase, is eligible for Nikon service (for a fee) thereafter. I know that is more than you were wanting to spend, but if you can stretch that far, you could keep and use your existing lenses and have a very good camera for the long haul.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2011, 11:44 AM   #3

What is it about the D3000 that made you feel like it was a step back?

The Nikon D3100 can be had new for $579 with lens. Itís too bad you canít step up to a Nikon D90 at $750. Iím not too keen on refurbished goods, but the D90 can be had for $650 refurbished. But note that not all non-motorized lenses are compatible with the D90.

Hereís the D90 manual. You can check pages 228-231 to see if your Nikon lens will work. Dunno about the Quantaray.
http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/noprint/D90_ennoprint.pdf
Graystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:11 PM   #4

thanks. I was looking at the D90. I also was looking at a canon 50d. They appear to be similar (I've used canons before).
Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vworkman View Post
thanks. I was looking at the D90. I also was looking at a canon 50d. They appear to be similar (I've used canons before).
The 50D is a bit larger than the D90. It's better in terms of build quality. I personally prefer Nikon, as I think Canon is a little behind the times when it comes to the flexibility of exposure settings.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:53 PM   #6

The 3000 sort of threw me off with it not being compatible with the older lenses. I also didn't like that it did not have live view. I rarely use it but it is a nice feature. The tutorials are nice but unnecessary. Also, the person who owns the 3000 has had it for less than a year and he's looking to upgrade already to either the 3100 or N90. I'm leaning towards the D90 because it seems to be more flexible in terms of what lenses I can use with it. Both of mine are compatible. It seems that the N90 would be a better investment in the long run and I wouldn't be looking for a new camera in a year or 2.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:58 PM   #7

I have a D90 and it's a great camera. A little behind now in terms of noise processing of JPEGs, but that only matters if you shoot JPEGs out of the camera. If you shoot RAW then it doesn't matter, as you have to use some other noise processing software. I do nearly all of my shooting at low ISO anyways, so I don't worry about noise.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 1:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vworkman View Post
It seems that the N90 would be a better investment in the long run and I wouldn't be looking for a new camera in a year or 2.
You are stuck in the film world! It's the D90...
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2011, 1:49 PM   #9

Typo. Sorry about that.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 1:58 PM   #10

well you can get a new pentax k-x for that price with the kit lens 18-55 darn good entry level dslr. You might also find the d90 which is a pretty good camera, and will give you access to all nikon lenses.