Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 12, 2011, 8:58 PM   #11

thanks for answer again..

so sarah,

you think is better to wait than just buy fz100...

but how long you think it will be, more than 1 or 2 years?

and if you can maybe say what will be the cca. price..under 700?
boula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2011, 9:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boula View Post
thanks for answer again..

so sarah,

you think is better to wait than just buy fz100...

but how long you think it will be, more than 1 or 2 years?

and if you can maybe say what will be the cca. price..under 700?
It won't be 1 year, 2 years or 10 years. The reason why the camera you want hasn't been built is because it can't be built (short of some huge revolutionary breakthrough in new sensor types). The larger sensor and brighter lens required for better low light performance and better performance at high ISO requires that the lens, and thus the camera, be proportionately bigger as well. Fuji has come the closest to offering something like this with a 14x zoom and a sensor a little bigger than the LX5. However, it was big and heavy and thus many people felt they might as well just have a DSLR at that point. The camera had abysmal sales and was discontinued early, so I wouldn't count on anyone even trying that again any time soon.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 9:25 PM   #13

Boula, I may be totally out of place here. I think the best solution long term, is to buy the camera that closest matches your requirements, shoot pictures and have fun with it until the "ideal" camera comes out. I think if you wait, camera-less, for that day to arrive, it never will, and you will miss out on the joy of photography for that period of time. I hate to sound harsh, but realistically, there is no camera that will "do it all", and I am safe to say there never will be. Please take this "advice" in the manner in which it was intended, as a friend.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2011, 9:27 PM   #14

I'm a slow typer, Five-O!

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:25 PM   #15

ok... thanks so much...I really fell better now, because I was afraid that I will buy FZ100, and just a few month latter, everybody would say: "heey, why you bought FZ100 if you knew it has problem with low light. MY friend just bought a new XY, that can do everything that FZ100 can, and has great IQ with high ISO in low light"

so i will stay with FZ100.. and I really think it is the best choise at moment,
just to be shure- last time to check it again :NIKON p100, and p500, and fujifilm Hs10, hs20 is not better from fz100 right? (if we compare with wishes I need - as said above..

and just one think - would I be able to make a great photo at concert of a singer( low light, no flash, and moving) - this is last fear that I have.(because iso is max 200)
Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:44 PM   #16

Buala-

You have probably read the various excellent answers to our previous discussion. The camera that FiveO- mentioned I believe is the new Fuji F550 EXR camera. The F550 has a slightly larger than normal imager. So, to get a 15X optical zoom (24-360mm) lens on the camera, Fuji essentially shrunk the camera body and imager to get a lens that was more normal in appearance.

First of all here is a photo of the F550 EXR camera. Notice that the imager has 16mp, as the Fuji EXR system uses paired pixels in its operation.

The next and very logical question is this: what does the image quality look like. Here is one of the official Fuji sample photos, that does indeed look pretty good.

So this is the first step forward in technical advancement. The camera style is unlike the Panasonic FZ cameras. Instead, it is very much in the "travel-zoom" style that does not provide an optical viewfinder, or a EVF option.

Hopefully over the next year or so we will see other camera designs. Another thing to note is that the Fuji EXR system itself does require some additional manual settings to get the most from this new EXR imager. The Panasonic FZ100 is currently ISO limited. That means that image quality declines when the numerical ISO setting is increased in excess of ISO 200, as you noted.

The Fuji F550EXR is supposed to have greater numerically higher ISO possibility. However, I urge caution. The F550 EXR is a brand new camera, and no user nor professional reviews have been published. So that higher ISO capability is as yet unproven.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Mar 12, 2011 at 10:50 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2011, 11:31 PM   #17

hmmm..

interesting.. this fujifilm actually looks great, yes we really need some pro reviews.

but it looks like great compromise with little less zoom and probably beter IQ,

but as I see it is lighter of fz100, and not really bigger sensor (if snapsort is not wrong

http://snapsort.com/compare/Fujifilm...umix_DMC-FZ100

specifications looks great..
http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/2789...epix-f550-exr/

ihmm but why f/3.5 aperture? is big difference with F2 or F2,7 right...

tomorrow I will try to find some reviews about it...

and not to forget it is also pocket-able.

Last edited by boula; Mar 12, 2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 11:51 PM   #18

boula & sarah

i'm interested to look for great little camera with balanced image quality and zoom

i like F550EXR for the fast shot and fast focus
i just found some review about F550exr from japanese site

https://ascii.jp/elem/000/000/594/594469/?new

i dont think the image quality of F550exr is very good, some picture is look like oil painting for me, maybe its because oversized 16MP (in a small image sensor ?? weird !)? why not between native 8MP - 10MP ?

Fuji should focused on image quality first
then go for fast focus, and fast shot

and why Fuji remove great AF Phase in F550EXR?
Quote:
http://ascii.jp/elem/000/000/594/594469/

F550は24~360mm相当(35mmフィルム換算)、F3.5~5.3の光学15倍ズームレンズを搭 載。ざっくりと言ってしまえば、「スーパーCCDハニカムEXR」を搭載していた「FineP ix F300EXR」(以下F300、関連記事)の撮像素子を、EXR CMOSに載せ換えた格好だ。  F300はコンパクトデジカメとしては珍しく、撮像素子の画素内に組み込まれたAFセンサーを用いた“位 相差AF”を搭載していたが、F550ではこの 機能は搭載していない。しかし、EXR CMOSセンサーと新しい画像処理エンジン「EXRプロセッサー」の組み合わせにより、必要十分なAFスピ ードを実現しているように思われた。
 スーパーCCDハニカムもそうだったが、このEXR CMOSでも高感度時の低ノイズとワイドダイナミックレンジが謳われている。最高撮影感度はF300同様の ISO 12800相当(解像度“S”、4:3で23041728ドット)までだが、F300では最大800%ま で設定可能だった「ダイナミックレンジ優先モー ド」が、F550では1600%へと向上している。

translated:
F550 is equivalent to 24 ~ 360mm (35mm film equivalent), F3.5 ~ 5.3 with a 15 times optical zoom lens. Roughly once said, "Super CCD EXR" was equipped with a "FinePix F300EXR" (below F300, Articles), an imaging device, EXR CMOS Replaced it looks as put.

F300 is an unusually compact, built-in sensor pixel image sensor for AF "phase difference AF" was carried, F550, this feature is not installed. However, EXR CMOS sensor and new image processing engine "EXR processor" in combination, seemed to be necessary and sufficient AF speed has been achieved.

So did the Super CCD honeycomb, this has been touted the EXR CMOS low noise at high sensitivity and wide dynamic range well. The best photographic sensitivity equivalent to ISO 12 800 F300 similar resolution ("S", 4:3 2304. 1728 dots), but before, F300 800 percent of the maximum can be set up in the "dynamic priority mode" is, F550 1600% in to have improved.

still wait for expert review for F550EXR, hope the image quality is quite well when set to 8MP

Last edited by dyudi; Mar 13, 2011 at 3:09 PM.
dyudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:30 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
The camera that FiveO- mentioned I believe is the new Fuji F550 EXR camera.
Actually, the Fuji S100FS is the camera I was referring to.

Quote:
ok... thanks so much...I really fell better now, because I was afraid that I will buy FZ100, and just a few month latter, everybody would say: "heey, why you bought FZ100 if you knew it has problem with low light. MY friend just bought a new XY, that can do everything that FZ100 can, and has great IQ with high ISO in low light"
Well the XZ-1 definitely is considerably better in low light but it lacks the zoom of the FZ100. Thus you have to decide what is more important to you.

Quote:
would I be able to make a great photo at concert of a singer( low light, no flash, and moving) - this is last fear that I have.(because iso is max 200)
Great? No. At ISO 200, you might not even get a shot that is bright enough to be usable. I used my ZS7 at several concerts last summer. My shots from an outdoor day concert were great. As it got later in the evening, I had to go to ISO 400 and even ISO 800 to even get a shot off. Due to all of the movement, I learned Shutter Priority was best and I managed to get some shots at ISO 400/800 that were good for small prints. I used the camera again at an indoor show and I literally had 2 shots that were salvageable out of about 30 - and Peter Frampton doesn't move much at his age! My point is simply that while you can use this type of camera at concerts, it makes an already difficult shooting situation even more challenging.

As Hawgwild stated, there is no perfect camera that will do everything and that is especially true with fixed lens cameras. Unfortunately, zoom comes at the cost of low light ability.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:42 AM   #20

thanks....

with your help I have learnd that superzoom camera just kill quality.

so from now on, I changed my mind - also 10- 15x zoom will be OK

I am more and more into this camera--> as already mentioned before sarah.

FujiFilm F550 EXR?
new technology cmos exr

photo samples even at 1600 photo still nice, and is cmos so has also high speed movie..

and as I said 15x zoom is still acceptable

sample phottos
http://ascii.jp/elem/000/000/594/594469/

promo video:

http://camera.itmedia.co.jp/dc/artic...news026_4.html
promo video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx-QigdWIIo
and also pocketable

what you think.... cant wait pro reviews.. I hope that's it