Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 13, 2011, 5:19 AM   #21

Hi boula, may I suggest the upcoming S series by Olympus, and the upcoming S9100 by Nikon.They r superzooms with gd wide. However the closest to your requirements as far as IQ goes, though nt a superzoom, would b the Nikon P7000.
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:04 PM   #22

fayyaz-

In all fairness, I think it is important to make note of the user reports on the Nikon P7000 and S9100 cameras. Neither has performed well at all.

I purchased the P7000 and returned it 4 days later due to very real inaccurate focusing problems, even after I completed the recent firmware update. If you are a reader of the DPR Nikon Forum you will also know that there have been multiple reports of the S9100 camera totally freezing up while zooming. There have already been numerous returns of the S9100 due to the "freeze-up" problem and, once again, inaccurate focusing.

I have a long and extensive history with point and shoot cameras over the last 17 years. Personally, based on my own personal experience and my reading, I would never consider purchasing either the Nikon P7000 or the S9100 model cameras.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:24 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
fayyaz-

In all fairness, I think it is important to make note of the user reports on the Nikon P7000 and S9100 cameras. Neither has performed well at all.

I purchased the P7000 and returned it 4 days later due to very real inaccurate focusing problems, even after I completed the recent firmware update. If you are a reader of the DPR Nikon Forum you will also know that there have been multiple reports of the S9100 camera totally freezing up while zooming. There have already been numerous returns of the S9100 due to the "freeze-up" problem and, once again, inaccurate focusing.

I have a long and extensive history with point and shoot cameras over the last 17 years. Personally, based on my own personal experience and my reading, I would never consider purchasing either the Nikon P7000 or the S9100 model cameras.

Sarah Joyce
I can second the opinion of Sarah - as far as goes with the NIkon S8100. Had this for about a week.
Could'nt focus very well, was a fantastic low light shooter but had serious problems with focus and, btw, extensive noise reduction (very much).
Also had problems with Videorecording - result very bad. So I returned it !!
Claus
Tresman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2011, 1:07 PM   #24

Thank U Mtclimber, I too was thimking of getting the S9100,since on paper it seemed a like a good pocketable superzoom. I haven't read any reviews yet.However the new S series from Olympus also looks promising.
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2011, 1:47 PM   #25

sarah -mtcblimber:

so is fujifilm f550 going to be relased in this month- march? or later..

do you have any more opinion about this camera?

I think this is really my favourite at moment, and is the closest to my needs.

all sources and samples in one post:

http://ecfoto.net/Album/PhotoTag/f550exr

http://www.pbase.com/hpicckcy/macau_2011

http://bbs.kakaku.com/bbs/K000022724...mageID=867368/

http://camera.itmedia.co.jp/dc/artic...news026_4.html

http://ascii.jp/elem/000/000/594/594469/

comparition
http://bbs.kakaku.com/bbs/K000022724...mageID=871400/

photo
http://kakaku.com/item/K0000227247/picture/
specif.:
http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...nepix_f550exr/

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/2789...epix-f550-exr/
boula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2011, 4:34 PM   #26

boula-

The Fuji F550 EXR is scheduled for release in the USA in the last week of March. Now the recent earthquake and tsunami may delay that schedule somewhat.

The photos that I have seen thus far look promising, as long as you are at peace with using Fuji's EXR system that takes a a few added manual settings (see my attachment, please) all in all the F550 EXR will provide a lot of zoom and some nice features.

The EXR instructions were posted by Hards/Dustin one of the super moderators. I have found that they work nicely for me. I printed these instructions and laminated them, so I could carry them in my camera case. After you have used these settings for a month or so they are easily remembered and therefore easier to use. I have pasted a copy of Dustin's instructions below my signature.

Sarah Joyce

I put this together for a forum member who PM'd me, so I wanted to share with everyone as well.

First step with this camera is to put it in M size or the 5mp size and leave it there. The EXR system only works in 5mp mode. And yes, the 5mp mode is ALWAYS better than the 10mp mode, forget about nominal resolutions, the 5mp mode resolves more detail. just trust me. And yes, the EXR mode works in P mode or the EXR DR mode, this was proven by friend who did a controlled test (as long as P mode is set to M(5mp))

Setting #1- Outdoor landscape/cityscape shooting.
Put camera in EXR DR Mode
Set to M size (5mp).
Set DR800. this is the secret for increasing dynamic range
Does not matter what you do with auto ISO because cam will use ISO 200 at all times.

Setting #2 - Wildlife / at the Zoo in daylight
P Mode
M Size (5mp)
I set the DR to 400
Auto Iso 800

Setting #3 - General shooting. This is the setting i would use for shooting people or kids outdoors.
P Mode M Size (5mp)
Dr 200%
Auto ISO 800

Setting #4 - Low-light without flash
P Mode/M Size (5mp)
DR 100% (so no increase in DR) (adds noise in low-light)
Auto ISO 1600

Setting #5 - Flash photography.
P Mode / M Size (5mp)
DR 100% (no DR increase)
ISO 200 is my starting point. If I am shooting a group of people or the people i need to shoot are further away I will increase the ISO to 400 or 800.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2011, 5:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by boula View Post
thanks....

with your help I have learnd that superzoom camera just kill quality.

so from now on, I changed my mind - also 10- 15x zoom will be OK
10x is still a superzoom and all of the IQ the problems that are inherent to bridge cameras, are also inherent to pocket cams with those same tiny sensors. You can either accept those limitations, get some improvement by selecting a larger sensor P&S (you lose the zoom), or you can check some interchangeable lens cameras.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 7:11 PM   #28

thanks..

I heard so many times about this DR mode and i think SN mode and this... i try to google. but all I saw is something that is dynamic range. but as english is not my first language.
I cant found out what means 200% dynamic range, or even 1600%.

and what is dr mode and sn mode.. what is this and what is difference, better.

little rumors:

now when Fujifilm released F550, I heard that also Canon and others will also release competitor cameras... true?

Tsunami:
I am really filling bad because of this. and most important for me is that they will be Ok as soon as possible. I wish them all good.

I am sorry to ask this, but even I feel bad for people and companies. but witch digital cameras were injured and halt a production? just SONY injured? - I heard that canon just halt production..
I saw that fujifilm also had lucky....

but I just hope that the factories are made so strong that can not cause such a big damaged, that they will not be possible to produce nothing for months or year...
that can be really economic problem.

I express my sincere condolences..
Old Mar 14, 2011, 7:15 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by boula View Post
now when Fujifilm released F550, I heard that also Canon and others will also release competitor cameras... true?
Canon announced a lot of new cameras. The main one for the type of camera you're looking at is probably the SX230.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:36 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
Canon announced a lot of new cameras. The main one for the type of camera you're looking at is probably the SX230.
maybe..but I was thinking about next series in the summer to be just announced - that is gonna by some more with EXR cmos senzor... in style of fujifilm f550