Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 10, 2011, 6:33 AM   #11

Lucky i found this here rather than pasting it.

Burst is kind of a priority for me and that's something that's got me confused bw the hx1 and an fz40.

Any help in this regard? Also they have this hand held night shot mode in SX1. can the fz40 account for that?
xHassan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2011, 6:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHassan View Post

Burst is kind of a priority for me and that's something that's got me confused bw the hx1 and an fz40.

Any help in this regard? Also they have this hand held night shot mode in SX1. can the fz40 account for that?

NOT SX1 i meant HX1
Old Mar 10, 2011, 7:05 PM   #13

Quote:

If burst is a priority, then you definitely want to stick to CMOS-based cameras. Modes like HHT (handheld twilight) take multiple shots in quick succession and stack them for better DR in low light. Due to the speed needed to do this, these features are generally exclusive to CMOS-based cameras. Keep in mind features like this can only be used for still or nearly still objects.

If you want an HX1, I would hurry up and order one because it was discontinued a long time ago and the remaining stock is all that is left.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 9:08 PM   #14

I owned the FZ28 (predecessor to the FZ35) and the Casio FH20 and currently have the Canon SX30IS, and now the ZS7 (which is kind of like a compact, pocketable, FZ35). For ease of use in taking single shots in most photo settings, I would go with the FZ35 and ZS7. The Casio was really, really good in burst mode (30 shots a second at 8 megapixels, 40 shots a second at 7 megapixels - if you halve the rate to 15 or 20 shots per second respectively, you can double the maximum time (i.e. you can get 40 shots in one second for one second at 7 mps, 20 shots in a second for two seconds, 10 shots a second for four seconds, etc. ). One complaint against the FH20 was mediocre image quality. I was happy with it, but some reviewers were not. The complaint I have heard and read about the HX1 is heavy noise reduction and consequent loss of detail. If I wanted a really fast burst mode, I would pick the Casio FH20, FH25, or FH100 (the first two are now hard to get) or the HX1 or some of the new cameras from Fuji (F550exr, and HS20) and other new cameras from Sony. The FZ35 and FZ40 have reduced resolution fast burst modes, but I don't think the pictures from these burst modes have great image quality. At least, that was my experience with such images from my FZ28.
The SX30IS is not a great burst mode camera.

Last edited by robbo; Mar 10, 2011 at 9:11 PM.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2011, 2:31 PM   #15

minus the burst, Fz38 is better in IQ than an HX1 correct?
Old Mar 14, 2011, 6:52 PM   #16

Quote:
minus the burst, Fz38 is better in IQ than an HX1 correct?
The IQ for both cams is good for this class of camera imho. It is in every other respect that the FZ35 (FZ38) beats the HX1 .. imho.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:29 AM   #17

I have owned only the FZ28, not the FZ35 nor the HX1. However, from what I have read and seen from various websites the FZ35 has slightly sharper images than the HX1 even at low ISOs.

For corroboration of this, check out dcresource and imaging-resource. So, if I didn't need a very fast burst mode or sweep panorama, I would go for the FZ35.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote