Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 5, 2011, 3:00 PM   #1

Default Canon EOS Rebel XS and T3

The only digital camera I've ever owned is a point and shoot, now ancient. I was looking to replace it with another point and shoot, thinking that was all I could afford, but noticed a couple of entry level DSLRs that I may be able to afford, but just barely. They are The EOS Rebel XS and T3. Both are kits with an entry level lens included.

Any input would be helpful. I am especiall concerned about the camera lasting a long time, since this is a big purchase for me. I don't care a bit about taking video shots and don't want to pay for that function. The main uses will be nature closeup and landscapes as well as some photos of family and friends.

I want the DSLRs since they have RAW file formatting, bigger CCD or CMOS units, and interchangeable lenses, among other things.

Thank you.
Katies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2011, 3:04 PM   #2

The T3 would be a better choice. It give you more. And the new sensor has better iso performance.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 4:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The T3 would be a better choice. It give you more. And the new sensor has better iso performance.
Thank you. What do you think about it vs a point and shoot at the $400 range or so?

Do you know if these are known to hold up?
Katies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2011, 4:50 PM   #4

It will out preform them without a second thought in low light. And compare to the low light point and shoots. It will be much cleaner at 1600iso and up.

AF is faster, and you can add the ef 50 1.8 for 100 dollars. And it will give you a very good low light lens and portrait lens.

But the megazoom point and shoots give you a long reach. That is about what they are good at, but not good for action tracking.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 1:41 PM   #5

I had the XS and was never really happy with it. I sold that and picked up the T2i and it is a MUCH better camera IMHO for the little more money (as is the T3i). If you can wait, deals on them are fairly common, and would be worth the extra $ if you can manage it.

For example, when I bought mine, it was about $750, and had a deal for an extra lens, free printer, stuff like that. I sold the extras and was probably around $500 total for the camera and kit lens. Takes a little creativity, but can be done.
tsbrewers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:21 AM   #6

The big difference is the HUGE sensor and rapid picture taking ability of the dslr. You may not be able to afford lenses now but instead of buying a new point and every couple of years that could be a new lens(: if you want video then go for the t3 if not you might want to save a little and go for the XSi
Poorphotostudent is offline   Reply With Quote