Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 8, 2011, 5:18 PM   #11

Vick, I saw a Nikon Coolpix L110 at a membership store today for $188. I then checked the Nikon website for some specs. If you can find it for less than $200, it would make a very good point and shoot camera for you. I don't think it has many manual controls, but a lot of auto features that would produce excellent images.
Fred Horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2011, 7:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Horn View Post
Vick, I don't know anything about the Nikon Coolpix L110. I think it is probably a point and shoot type of camera. I prefer the control I can have with the more complex cameras. I use the auto mode most of the time and that is comparable to point and shoot types but there are occasions where I want full control of the results. If you think you may want to get serious about creative photography then spend a few extra dollars for more control features than you will find on most point and shoot types. If you want to become a pro, you will likely end up with high end Canons and Nikons with a suitcase full of lenses and other gadgets.

What is the primary purpose of your camera purchase?
Hey fred, the main purpose for the camera is just taking family pictures and outdoor natures pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Horn View Post
Vick, I saw a Nikon Coolpix L110 at a membership store today for $188. I then checked the Nikon website for some specs. If you can find it for less than $200, it would make a very good point and shoot camera for you. I don't think it has many manual controls, but a lot of auto features that would produce excellent images.
Fred, thanks so much for your help..yea i seen it for $179 online and looks good and since this is my first slr camera i dont want to mess much with manual settings you know. I want to get used to the feel of the camera and see how it works. Most of my previous cameras would fit in my pocket so this is gonna be big step. once everything works out fine then i will upgrade to something better.
VICK84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2011, 10:07 PM   #13

Vick, I saw a Nikon Coolpix L110 at a membership store for $188. A lot of auto features that would ensure good photos, but I don't think it has any manual features for creativity. There are so many choices. Fifty some years ago when I bought my first camera there were not many to chose from. Digital has really changed the photo scene. My Fujifilm S4000A may be here tomorrow. I am anxious to test it. Since I am not a Pro, (always wanted to be) I hope I will find it satisfactory for my purposes.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 1:47 AM   #14

Thanks Again Fred...I guess i will wait till your fujifilm arrives and then you can give me your opinion. I am not in a rush at all. And yes indeed the digital world has changed over the years, I cant even imagine hows its gonna be in next 10-15 years.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 7:09 PM   #15

Vick, I received the Fuji S4000A today. I don't have a memory card yet so I haven't made any images with it.

Reading the manual and going through the operations of it, I am not impressed. I do not like the feel of it in my hands, the view finder is not very good and I am not used to using the display for formatting, but its simple to switch back and forth.

I think the auto focus is too slow too and allows you to make an exposure without it being in focus. I will probably return it. Too many years using the Nikon F3, it feels good but is not digital. The D60 is ok, but I need to spend more money for more camera.

The Panasonic FZ35 seems to have a lot of happy purchasers. It will cost more than the Nikon CoolpixL110 but has a lot more features. If you are budgeted to less than $200, the Nikon will do you well.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 2:39 PM   #16

Fred, I am sorry to hear that, I guess it leaves me with coolpix L100 or FZ35. I can find nikon for $179 and the FZ35 is like $217. I think, I might as well got with FZ35 because of more features and not having a AA doubles. I mean eventually the cost for replacing battery in nikon will cost me more in long run.