Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   What Camera Should I Buy? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy-80/)
-   -   Mom wants a new camera (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy/185081-mom-wants-new-camera.html)

interested_observer Mar 6, 2011 7:03 PM

Mom wants a new camera

My Mom is 88, and she hated the color on the last batch of film she had processed last week. She wants to take pictures of her quilts and her quilting, along with family get togethers.

What she wants is something that she can hold, with reasonable sized buttons, somewhat simple - i.e., fully automatic, put in her purse, has some zoom and has image stabilization, no viewfinder and takes good pictures with good color.

So we went over to best buy to see what she liked and what would work. The smaller P&S were too small. The "chunker" P&S - the Canon SX 130is she liked and worked much better.

Right next to it was a Nikon L110 - a bridge camera that appealed to her that worked even better since its a bit larger and had a hand hold.

So, does anyone have some experience on either of these, or some better suggestions? What works well for your parents?

shoturtle Mar 6, 2011 7:22 PM

olympus xz1 or the panny lx5 since she likes a larger body, and sounds like all this is indoors. So the bigger sensor and fast lens will help out allot. But they are pricey. The smaller sensor will mean that you need a good flash,

mtclimber Mar 6, 2011 7:46 PM

Frankly Mom does not want a super expensive camera-

Shoturtle are you listening?

Our budget is really limited. I am thinking that a Canon A3K would be enough. What do you think.

Sarah Joyce

shoturtle Mar 6, 2011 7:58 PM

no such camera that will have that ability, old lx3 would work and can sometimes be found for around 300 or 250. But indoors stuff, no little pns sensor will work well.

mtclimber Mar 6, 2011 8:27 PM

No offense intended, S/T-

But Mom does not have $500 to spend on a camera. Got that?

So suggesting a camera like you have really does not make much sense. Mom is looking for a less than $100 camera that has great image quality.

Any suggestions????????????

Mom

shoturtle Mar 6, 2011 8:32 PM

But here it the thing the OP did not mention a budget, just larger and easier to hold. With indoor ability. So it is a valid suggestion to the OP, it is up to the OP and the mother to decide what they want.

Because they do not make a good indoor point and shoot with any of the 1/2.23 sensor, and that is the reality. As the focus of the OP's requirement focus squally on the indoors.

mtclimber Mar 6, 2011 8:49 PM

Suppose S/T
Consider that the OP is looking for a LESS THAN $100 camera. What camera would your recommendation?????????????? Now that is a rather simple question, isn't it. Quite honestly we need you very clear answer.

May we have that answer, now, rather than later, please.????????????

Mom

shoturtle Mar 6, 2011 8:55 PM

We don't know what they OP is looking to spend. Right now to put a price tag on something it grasping at strews. I focus on the info at hand indoors stuff and capturing detail of quitting and stuff.

mtclimber Mar 6, 2011 10:05 PM

S/T

To be very honest, you are back pedaling. Time to wake up compadre!

Mom

shoturtle Mar 6, 2011 10:08 PM

no I am not you want to play with hypothetical I play along for one post with the lx3.

If the budget is 200 dollars, then the OP need to accept allot of compromises, or expand the budget or live with a smaller body like the s95. And look at a canon s90 or s95 refreb from canon.