Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 10, 2011, 12:08 PM   #1

Default Olympus SZ-10 or Nikon S9100: aperture vs chip type?

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but I'm hoping with all the expertise on this site, someone can give me some guidance...

I'm looking for a compact camera with a good zoom, for shooting my son's football matches, sports days, school plays, etc. The usual bridge cameras are too long to be pocket-size, but the Olympus SZ-10 and Nikon S9100 both seem to meet my needs. (size, zoom).

As I've had a lot of problems with noise in poor light with my current camera (Fuji F31d), I'm looking for something that performs well in this area. I'm hoping sensor technology has progressed a lot in the last few years, but also I'm focusing (excuse the pun!) on a good max aperture. The SZ-10 has a telephoto max apperture of f4.4, and a 1/2.3 CCD sensor, while the S9100 has a worse max f5.9 at telephoto, but a 1/2.3 backlit CMOS sensor - which claims to be better in low light. So to the crunch question... how much better? Would it make up for the nearly 1 stop difference in max aperture?

All your thoughts please!
apg163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2011, 4:29 PM   #2

apg-

I love small digicams as well. But we have to deal with reality here to provide a realistic answer to your question. The best camera to handle the tasks you describe is realistically: a DSLR camera.

Both the cameras you are asking about are new cameras. The initial user responses to the Nikon S9100 are very negative. SourcePR:Nikon User Forum. The Olympus SZ10 is not yet generally available.

Most school plays are not famous for their strong lighting. I have experience in that area as my husband and I have raised 8 children, and have attended many shool plays. In contrast, cruise ship entertainment generally has a much high degree of illumination. There I have successfully used a Panasonic FZ28 at it full wide angle aperture of F2.8 with the ISO set to ISO 800, by being very close to the entertainer. See the sample posted below.

So, when the lighting is really good, you can get by at F2.8 at ISO800. neither of the two cameras you are interested in can use F2.8. I think you can see what I am trying to communicate.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Mar 10, 2011 at 4:31 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 5:54 AM   #3

Olympus SZ 20 and 30mr also coming up.
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 2:54 PM   #4

Default Priorities?

[QUOTE=apg163;1207796]Hi, I'm new to this forum, but I'm hoping with all the expertise on this site, someone can give me some guidance...

I'm looking for a compact camera with a good zoom, for shooting my son's football matches, sports days, school plays, etc. As I've had a lot of problems with noise in poor light with my current camera (Fuji F31d).

Are you looking to get good video, or get excellent IQ prints at 8x10+? Many cameras (including DSLR's) can't do videos very well- especially lo-light. The compacts that have larger sensors don't have long zoom range- so if you're looking for one camera to do it all, I think you'd have to compromise. I have seen good reviews of some Casio models. One feature usefui in sports video is high frame rates, to show slow-mo action. Here is quote from one review of 15 superzooms:

One of the best all-round performers (and one of the most popular amongst staff looking for a compact to take out for the weekend) is the Casio Exilim FH100. The Casio combines excellent build quality, a very broad feature set and a versatile 10x zoom lens with sharp, detailed images in a range of situations. It's video image quality is genuinely outstanding, too, and rivals footage from some DSLRs for detail and clarity.
ewern is offline   Reply With Quote