Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 10, 2011, 11:43 PM   #1

Default Panasonic ZS7 or Canon SX130..

So I had a ZS6 for about 2 weeks but had to return it today to Costco (don't ask). Over all I was quite happy with the digicam; Outdoors it really exceled, indoors- lets just say the flash was weak.

So I had a ZS7 on order from Amazon but just canceled it because I'm entertaining the idea of the Canon. I understand the limitations of AA batts but would buy NiMh if I decided on the Canon. I should also add I had the SX210 and returned it; I was just not happy with the images it produced.

What say you? Any users of both out there?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by cfrock; Mar 11, 2011 at 12:14 AM.
cfrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2011, 12:49 PM   #2

cfrock-

Long story made very short:I have used both and settled on the SX130 and enjoyed it very much. It was a well thought out decision.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 1:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
cfrock-

Long story made very short:I have used both and settled on the SX130 and enjoyed it very much. It was a well thought out decision.

Sarah Joyce
Let me ask a question of you- About how many shots are you getting out of NiMh batts? Do you find the size of the Canon to be troublesome/cumbersome? Last one, Any issues with the LCD panel? The sx210 screen was noticeably worse than the ZS6 I had.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 2:36 PM   #4

I own the ZS7 and am quite happy with it, but if size wasn't an issue, I probably would have chosen the SX130 instead, due largely to Canon's colors. However, size is an issue for me and if it won't fit in my pocket, I usually won't carry it.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 4:19 PM   #5

cfrock-

227 photos on the last set of eneloop batteries.
The SX130 size is perfect for me. It goes right into my purse.
LCD scree at 230K resolution is average and very workable.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 4:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
I own the ZS7 and am quite happy with it, but if size wasn't an issue, I probably would have chosen the SX130 instead, due largely to Canon's colors. However, size is an issue for me and if it won't fit in my pocket, I usually won't carry it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
cfrock-

227 photos on the last set of eneloop batteries.
The SX130 size is perfect for me. It goes right into my purse.
LCD scree at 230K resolution is average and very workable.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks to both.
I did appreciate the compactness of my ZS6. I'll have to run to BestBuy or something to try the Canon in hand again.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 8:16 AM   #7

Hi,

Here are some shots I took - I still consider myself a beginner.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I like the camera alot but there are some issues (as with all cameras).

1) shot to shot with full flash is 12 seconds for me (using either eneloop or energizer NIMH) - I have no idea how people get 5-6 seconds - I never do and I have had 2 of these cameras since my first broke. So don't expect alot of quick shots together.

2) in P mode or any auto iso mode, the camera picks an ISO way too high - rarely will it go below 400 except in bright light outside. The result is that you have to control the ISO if you want less noisy shots. (but that is not hard to do).

3) I personally like that the flash has to be raised - I often use forced flash so for me, if I want the flash I raise it, if I don't I put it down - actually alot quicker than going through pressing the buttons to turn the flash on and off like I used to do with my older camera (canon a610)

4) The flash is not as strong as I would like but everyone says it is among the best in the class.

I find it harder to take as many clean shots with this camera as I could with my older camera but my older camera was only a 4x zoom and when the shots do come out clean they are better than my older camera & the iso performance is pretty good up to about 800.

I also get about 250 shots per charge with NIMH batteries - actually more usually because I can get about 50 more shots if I force it once the low batter signal appears.

I like a camera big enough so that I can hold steady in 1 hand - the size is great if you don't plan to put in your pocket - but in a loose pair of pants (eg dockers) it easily fits in your pocket.

Last edited by Juggernaut; Mar 12, 2011 at 8:24 AM.
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote