Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 12, 2011, 8:13 AM   #1

Default Inexpensive camera for landscapes

I currently own a Canon PowerShot S3 IS but would like to be able to shoot landscapes on an upcoming trip to the Southwest without having to use the stitch mode. I can buy a converter & wide angle lens for the S3 for around $200+ or I can buy another camera for about the same amount. I'm not ready to upgrade to a dSLR.

What would you recommend?
I'm leaning towards just buying a new camera and considering the Canon Powershot SX 130 IS. It seems very similar to the S3 and has a range of 28-336 mm equivalent (pro: it would be easy to learn, con: a little bulky & same slow shot to shot lag) Will the 28mm be wide enough to capture the panoramic vistas and also the slot canyons? Does anyone make a good compact 24 mm in this price range?

This newbie to the forum thanks you for your assistance.
luvtotravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2011, 9:59 AM   #2

The Canon SX130 will do a fine job, but most folks want an bit wider view point.

The ZS7 has great image quality outdoors and a 25mm wide angle. Amazon has it on for $229 with a $30 Amazon Gift certificate, placing it right in your price range.

Indoor image quality, due to a weak flash is only fair. Or, you can improve the image quality by adding a supplementary Slave Flash.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Mar 12, 2011 at 10:04 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2011, 11:31 AM   #3

The Panasonic ZS7 has many fine attributes especially the wider lens but I'm a little concerned about the indoor image quality. I know I said I wanted this camera for landscapes but as I read more about it, wide angle would be great for indoor group shots, stadium shots, museums, etc. as well. Since I like to travel I envision using the wide angle in all sorts of situations, including indoors. Knowing this, do you think the indoor image quality is a deal breaker? (Below is a little more info on what I'm looking for in a camera)

Also, I'm used to rechargeable AA batteries & have invested in a charger and plenty of spares. How expensive is the 3.7V Lithium? I couldn't find a review on the S7 but the S3 doesn't seem to get many shots per charge.

Many years ago I owned a film SLR with interchangeable lenses. I loved the picture quality but it was stolen, hence my reluctance to invest in another expensive camera. The security concerns are a hassle when traveling. (Somebody has to stay with the valuables on the beach while we take turns enjoying a swim or snorkel; can't leave valuables in the car, even the locked trunk - that kind of stuff)

So I'm trying to get a camera that takes good quality shots at a reasonable price. I'd like to be able to enlarge to at least 8X10 (maybe even 11X14) & print some of my travel shots.

Sorry for the length of this post. Hope the clarifications help.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 2:41 PM   #4

Budget allowing, you might consider either the Canon G11 or G12.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2011, 4:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtotravel View Post
The Panasonic ZS7 has many fine attributes especially the wider lens but I'm a little concerned about the indoor image quality. I know I said I wanted this camera for landscapes but as I read more about it, wide angle would be great for indoor group shots, stadium shots, museums, etc. as well. Since I like to travel I envision using the wide angle in all sorts of situations, including indoors. Knowing this, do you think the indoor image quality is a deal breaker? (Below is a little more info on what I'm looking for in a camera)

Also, I'm used to rechargeable AA batteries & have invested in a charger and plenty of spares. How expensive is the 3.7V Lithium? I couldn't find a review on the S7 but the S3 doesn't seem to get many shots per charge.

Many years ago I owned a film SLR with interchangeable lenses. I loved the picture quality but it was stolen, hence my reluctance to invest in another expensive camera. The security concerns are a hassle when traveling. (Somebody has to stay with the valuables on the beach while we take turns enjoying a swim or snorkel; can't leave valuables in the car, even the locked trunk - that kind of stuff)

So I'm trying to get a camera that takes good quality shots at a reasonable price. I'd like to be able to enlarge to at least 8X10 (maybe even 11X14) & print some of my travel shots.

Sorry for the length of this post. Hope the clarifications help.

Flash usage in museums is often disallowed or impractical due to glass, in which case both the ZS7 and SX130 would do very poorly. In addition to that, if you want prints at larger sizes, these small sensor cameras aren't the best way to go. Look into cameras in the next level up like the S95, LX5, XZ-1, etc.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 4:58 PM   #6

Lots to think about. Thanks to everyone for their input.