Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 16, 2011, 7:41 AM   #11

Default Sending back the GH2

I reconsidered all I had read here and reviews on the cameras and decided to return the GH2 and go for a Pentax. There is nothing more important to me than image quality and dynamic range, and video is not important. The only question now raised is whether I should go for a K-5 or, as shoturtle suggested, a K-r. It may be at as a more casual shooter, the K-r will provide suffient quality, still being beyond the GH2.
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 9:49 AM   #12

The k5 is a semi pro camera, with allot more size and weight for the added features. If you do not need all that weight or feature, the K-r would be a good performer. 4.7fps is not to bad. And the 12mp sensor is a very good one.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 1:48 PM   #13

How does something like a Canon T2i compare to the K-r? I see that you are a Canon shooter, and so thought you might have some insight as to a comparison.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 7:55 PM   #14

The t2i is a better HD camera then the k-r and it has a little faster AF system. But the K-r is cleaner at higher iso then the canon. 6400iso, the pentax has less noise, but the canon retains more details. The k-r gives you a faster burst rate, while the canon has a longer burst rate. You are looking at about 20+ photos at 3.7fps with the canon, and about 3 sec before buffer lag with the k-r.

But both are very good camera. So you really need to look at the non photo quality items between these camera. Canon gives you much more lens options form consumer grade to pro. Better HD ability. And just more accessory on the market. But the K-r is smaller, and it can use all k-mount pentax lenses with and without AF.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:13 PM   #15

I loved the size and look of the KR, seriously considered buying a white "storm-trooper" one. However, I've gotten very used to the extra features that the higher level Pentax cameras offer, so bought the K5. The increased size isn't that much, it's a very solid camera and (most important to me) it offers weather sealing which the KR doesn't. While the KR offers a whole lot for a great price and the image quality is excellent, if you can afford the extra cost, get the K5.

I often think that the argument that a certain camera manufacturer offers more lenses than another isn't a useful argument either for or against getting a certain camera. It's not the quantity of lenses that are available but rather do they make the lens YOU want to buy. Both Canon and Nikon are going to have more lenses because they have IS and non-IS versions of the same lenses, something that's not needed with Pentax, Sony etc. that offer IS in-camera.

For instance, when I was shooting film my favorite lens was a 70-210 lens. Putting that lens on a crop sensor camera changes the field of view completely, to one that's not wide enough at the widest end. So for me the Pentax DA*50-135 is perfect, it gives me the same field of view as the 70-210 on my old film camera. On the other hand, if I wanted to shoot architecture with a tilt/shift lens, I would not choose Pentax since their tilt/shift lens has been out of production for a number of years and doesn't come on the market very often (and commands a high price when it does).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:46 PM   #16

Now lets be fair, pentax really does not have anything to match say any of the canon or nikon 70-200 2.8. The only option is a 3rd party one that does not compare to either the canon or nikon 70-200 2.8. I shoot the pentax allot, and it is a excellent camera system. But there is a reason that the canon and nikon have more shooting pros. They have a much higher quality lenses in the pro level. And in the consumer end, they do not have as many options either. Just look at the number of prime lenses available, canon has more f2 faster primes, while the pentax only has 5 compare to 12 form canon. And a bunch of canon f2 or better lenses are less then 400 dollars, while there is only 1 pentax f2 or better less then 400 dollar. Then we come into the 2.8 zoom, which there are more canon options. And 3rd party support, not all sigma, tamron or tokina lenses have a k mount options. Just and example the tokina 11-16 2.8 is not available in a pentax mount.

The reality is that while the pentax lens lineup is good, it really does not compare to the options that are available for canon or nikon. The is why there is just under 100 new lens option for pentax and over 300 for canon. Consumer grade 70-300mm zoom with fast AF. Canon and nikon has them available in USM or SWM. Pentax does not have one, and the tamron 70-300 USD does not come in a pentax mount. And that is the only 3rd party lens that matches up well with the canon and nikon options

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 17, 2011 at 12:00 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 7:29 AM   #17

shoturtle - Your response to my post took my breath away. I was NOT trying to to turn this into a Pentax vs. Canon/Nikon thread. I did NOT say that Pentax lenses were the equivalent of anyone else's lenses. I have no idea if they are or they are not, I don't have any Canon L glass all I know about Nikon is a friend of mine has a lovely Noct-Nikkor f1.2 lens that blows anything I have out of the water.

What I DO want to say is that the system you buy should have the lenses YOU (the OP) want - not what someone else wants. My example of the 50-135 is that I, personally, don't have any desire in the least for a 70-200 lens. For MY purposes it starts too long, so I was absolutely delighted that Pentax came out with the 50-135, which matched fields of view of my beloved 70-210.

It does not matter in the least to me what the pros are shooting. I can't afford pro gear. I'm not a pro, I have no intention to become a pro. I don't care about whether a camera manufacturer makes a full frame camera or not, they are too heavy and big for me. I don't even care about medium format cameras because I'm never going to own one (unless I win the lottery).

And I'm not saying that Pentax has every lens everyone else makes - in fact, I included the fact they DON'T have a current tilt/shift lens, something I'd love to play with but wouldn't use enough to pay a huge premium for.

So let us all go forward in peace.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 9:49 AM   #18

My point was not canon vs pentax. But the valid reason why lens option is important. There are allot of times where I do find price or the lens for the pentax is not available. So I just pointed out to the OP that it is something that you really need to look into, as it is important factors.

I also pointed out consumer grade lenses as well. While the 55-300 is a nice sharp lens, it does not focus that fast. And it is harder to shoot BIF's, it can but requires allot of user knowledge to operated the lens in the most ideal situation to capture the BIF's. Now a 70-300 with a high speed motor would make it allot easier. And not have as many miss focus shots.

So no war intended in a canon vs pentax. So we shall move forward to other question the OP might have.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 1:46 PM   #19

I have sent back the GH2, principally because I wish to have better IQ, dynamic range, and ISO range. The GH2 form factor was quite good, better than other mirrorless cameras for me.

The choice of lenses for the even the Pentax system is wider than the Panasonic system (given the need, especially with longer lenses, for OIS), and that is a real advantage as I do not anticipate buying very many lenses. The K-5 is body only, so I can start building from there. (Well, I have one SMC Pentax-M 50/2 lens sitting here on a ME Super.) My thoughts on lenses would suggest the 18-135 as a usual general purpose lens, then maybe the 35/2.4 macro and who knows beyond that.

Putting aside cost for the moment, the most significant issue for me in the weight of the K-5. I like to have something light with me, and the K-5 + 18-135 is 2.5 pounds, which is not insignificant. Perhaps I need to take 2.5 pounds around with me on some walks and see what I think about it. I have a few days to finalize the decision because the new camera -- whatever I decide -- will not be sent until they receive back the GH2.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 3:03 PM   #20

Is there a shop you can handle the cameras the k-5 and k-r and the t2i? It would help out allot actually with the decision process.